Sailplane storage rack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sailplane storage rack

I want to build a free-standing rack for 1/3 scale gliders, large enough for three scale birds and a few 3-4m non-scale fuselages and wings. What have you got?
    Bill

I am of the PVC pipe and pipe insulation persuasion...

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	96.0 KB
ID:	43292

Name:	
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	43293

Name:	
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	43294
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Wall ‘O Wings...

Name:	
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	43296
      Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

• mlachow
        mlachow commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve, you look a little low on stock.

I keep several of my fuselages in the rack I use in my van. It fits 4 fuselages.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Storage (3).jpg Views:	0 Size:	46.6 KB ID:	43303

I have a rack that has most of my other fuselages and wings. One side is just wing rack for smaller wings. Small slope ships also slot in there. The other side has places for fuselages to lean up against. Up high is more wing storage and in the middle are some shelves that currently have some of the scale wings on them.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Storage (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	141.8 KB ID:	43301
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Storage (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	57.9 KB ID:	43302

Rack frame is mostly pine. Wings are on square pieces not dowels. I had the pine. Base cross pieces are 4x4's. Way nicer than it needs to be but I had to do something with the table saw that I had just picked up.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by mlachow; 12-30-2020, 01:00 AM.

Comment

The two-sided rack like Mike’s or the columns of dowels are a great way to store wings, tail sets and other stuff. And, low cost. Mine are just a 2x4 drilled on the press and then ripped in two. I also have a couple using 2x2s.

The dowels can support and store some serious weight...

Name:	
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	43305

Comment

Warbird storage and a winter home for tow planes makes the basement takeover complete.

Name:	
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	43308

Name:	
Size:	202.8 KB
ID:	43307

Comment

I know you said free standing, but this is my set up for sailplanes.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Thanks guys for all the pictures. I like the first one by Steve P for fuselages - PVC tubing and a bunch of 90 degree elbows and T's. I am assuming that all pictures posted by Steve P are cat proof? We have one cat that will definitely climb all over it...
              Attached Files

Comment

• Steve P
                Steve P commented
                Editing a comment
                So far, all good. Just make the feet a bit longer if you're worried. You could make the openings a bit wider and slide wing panels (at least the mains) in next to the fuselage.

This is how mine are stored. I made these out of Oak, stained and then used screws that went into a stud in the wall. They used to be in the house in a room, but that was taken over by the Mother in Law. Now they're in the garage. Wings are in a closet, out of the way. Have a few more standing in the closet and wherever I can stash them.
              Bill

Comment

Working...
              X