Camping + Aerotowing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping + Aerotowing

Since most of our aerotow events run multiple days, and since most days start early and end late, the idea of camping at the field has become more and more enticing. I've watched with some envy as Gunny, Jeff, Steve, and Kevin close each day around the grill in the camper area.

Well...a man has got to have a plan!!!

Covid-19 was just what I needed to finally make the move and buy a camper. The main thing on my list was the ability for the camper to fit into one of my hangars, so it could not be taller than 9'. The other must have was a bathroom with shower. That narrowed the field quickly and we discovered that the perfect camper for us is actually manufactured in Somerset, PA (less than an hour from where we live). We took possession of our Little Guy Mini Max RV on Monday, June 22. Spent the last week at the field doing a trial run of camper living (nice to be able to go home and come right back if there is a problem).

Here we are all setup at the HighPoint Airfield.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1636.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	156.3 KB ID:	41575
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Welcome to the family Jim! Glad the break in run went well. It was good to see you and Len join the group. The more the merrier. Evenings can be so relaxing just hanging out talking about the days adventures. Not to mention it is super convenient to have your "Home" right near by. Saves on travel time too...

Here's a campground shot. But I don't want to miss mentioning Russ and Tim & Michele were tenting over on the line also.

See you guys soon.

Jeff

Comment

9 years ago I was the only one, Now the evenings with more campers is always the best... Like I always said, "What happens after the "hotel'ers" leaves,... well, lets just say they don't know what they are missing!" Congrats to the newbie campers. Jim, looks like your going to have to expand the camping area up and around the knob. LOL
      Gunny
      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Jim, I like your thought process. Height is not a must for me, but I don't want to do major modifications to my tow vehicle or purchase another. So, GTW (Gross Trailer Weight) is limited to 3,500 lbs.. The Mini Max fits that requirement and the others; A/C, indoor bathing and cooking. The main problem for me is even though I live in a major metropolitan area all the RV sellers have nothing that light. Hey, I do live in Texas! I might need to make the trek 3 hours south to look at one. Sure want to see one with my eyes first. Real 3D is always better than virtual.

What are your feelings about the usability of it for one person? I've watched some video reviews and one dig is the ceiling height. I'm 5' 9", so from the specs I'm one inch clear. My feelings are that Covid 19 will be here for a long time and it now appears to be mutating. That makes me think hotels will be a much higher risk environment than in the past, possibly indefinitely. I may not attend any out of town events this year as a result for that reason and that dine-in restaurants are an even higher risk.
        Mark

Comment

Mark, the Mini Max is a perfect one person or couple camper. As for the ceiling height, I am 5'11" and my hair just brushes the A/C unit. The small "pod" design campers make me feel claustrophobic, the Mini Max does not give me that feeling.
          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Thanks Jim, I may have to make the trip to see one in person. The other option does not have a good reputation for build quality. My Miata wants a little highway work.
            Mark

Comment

I bought a Mini Max this week and will pick it up on Wednesday. They will need to add the wiring for the brake controller since my truck only has the hitch. Jim it is a nice unit! For a average size single or couple it's all one needs. It was local like 15 minutes from my house. But, it did have a few options I didn't need. But, it did have the solar panel which will be nice to reduce the load when "off the grid".

My towing capacity cut down on the field quickly, didn't want to get into modifying my truck. Plus, since I can't store it on my property that added another must have/what do I do requirement. I found this week a storage facility that will store it for $50 per month. It's only 20 minutes from my house, cool. Nice when things start to come together.

Since the 2020 does not have the back up camera or it's wiring installed from what I have read I have already ordered a wifi back up camera. It only needs power for the camera and flat panel. Way cheaper than the Furrion camera system from the factory on 2019's and earlier.

Maybe more mods to come. OOH no not another hobby! But, no more hotels for me!
              Mark

Comment

Congratulations on the purchase Mark!

As for a generator for the A/C; I already have a Honda EU2000i, but it is not stout enough to reliably do the job. The new Honda EU2200i (according to some online videos) will run the A/C, but there are questions about how reliably it will work. Using interconnect wiring for a pair of this size generators will produce plenty of power for the A/C plus the microwave oven and other needs.

My plan is to purchase a new EU2200i Companion model (which has the recommended 30 amp plug) and see if it will run the A/C okay by itself. If not satisfied, I can connect my current EU2000i to it and there will be absolutely no problem, and I already have a set of interconnect cables.

The Honda EU2000 and EU2200 generators look the same externally and weigh the same, but the EU2200 has a larger displacement engine. Along with making more watts, it has more torque to handle that initial A/V compressor startup. We will see!
                A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Seems like it's similar to owning a boat. Boat, definition: A hole in the water one pours money into.
                Mark

Comment

• JimD
                  JimD commented
                  Editing a comment
                  B = Bust
                  O = Out
                  A = Another
                  T = Thousand

I used to crew on racing sailboats. Every flog of the sail when rigging we would say there goes another one hundred dollar bill. Most of the places I will be going to should have electrical hookups. Still it would be nice to have a generator to run the A/C. Let me know how the EU2200 does. may buy one even though I don't relish carrying gasoline around in a gas can.
                Last edited by Mark9; 07-13-2020, 07:33 PM.
                Mark

Comment

Not a hole or money pit at all. Ah-hum...
                  I've saved $23,950 on hotels alone since I bought my travel trailer new in 2011. 2010 I went to Cumberland for the first time and hotelled it and got my bill for the 5 nights of $600.00 Whoa! I'm not doing that again! So I got the camper next spring. The camper paid for itself twice over already. My 18 foot Wildwood X-Lite was $12,000 brand new. However, Lately my money pitfall seems to be at The Cumberland events. (Sorry Jim ) Lost the awning twice. Lost one when a tractor trailer hit the awning in a rest stop and the second one ripped off the camper next season when a storm blew in suddenly. So no more awnings for me... Guys, don't park your campers on an incline with your refrigerator ON! You will kill it and it cost Thousands to replace. Cumby again!
                  Not to pick on Cumberland.... I did shred 2 tires on the same side going up to Windy ridge.
                  Still well worth it, I'd do it again!

Gunny
                  Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

read up on the ac needs i use a 3500 size gen for my rv and it runs the ac no problems i do not use the micro without turning off the ac during use. most roof air units take a min of 3300 for start up power so as not to ruin the compressor. once running they can draw much less around 1300-1600 on mine......... and the soft start setups for the roof ac units is nice but it costs a lot for just a capacitor setup. similar to a large air compressor start system..

you can use the honda 2200 in pairs and then you are good to go but without adding outboard boat fuel tanks to each they will require you to fill them often when rv is in use.

Comment

Jim, I found this on the Hutch Mountain website. Also, in the Little Guy group on Facebook at least one owner has said he installed the Microair Easystart in the Penguin A/C and it works great. It looks to me only two things that would be potential hurdles, first access to the unit and second the unknown of how the refrigerant tubes may be routed. Having to bend refrigerant tubes are what would give me the willies. I will consider this as a real potential addition during this year since many of the people on the Airstream forum site appear to like it for running their units on one 2,000 watt generator.
                      Attached Files
                      Mark

Comment

I may just order one of these for my A/C & generator unit. Even though I use a Honda EU 3000 IS (which has an aftermarket remote for starting, eco mode, auto choke and aux. outlet control. Plus I have multiple 6 gallon external fuel tanks.) I want to install this for a couple of reasons... 1) quieter starts so it doesn't wake me up at night. 2) Run multiple appliances like microwave or coffee maker. 3) On really hot days it does stall out the compressor and or the generator occasionally. 4) Less vibration of generator during start up (mine is mounted to the back of the trailer so it occasionally wakes me up. 5) Less wear and tare on the gen. and A/C and 6) the most important not to wake up the other campers who sleep near by my rig.
                        Last edited by gunny11; 07-15-2020, 04:49 AM.
                        Gunny
                        Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Here's an update on the Easy Start in the Dometic Penguin A/C. Xtreme Outdoors has a thread going in the Facebook group for the Little Guy Mini/Max trailers future design changes. Many people have stated they would like to see the Easy Start as either a factory option or as standard equipment. They all say it was an excellent mod that they performed on their units. Also, one owner claims that somebody else, before I do it I'm going to call Xtreme Outdoors, Xtreme Outdoors told him the roof will support an average person's weight. Looks like it will be one mod I will need to do this fall.
                          Mark

Comment

Working...
                          X