An Icon has passed away

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Icon has passed away

With a Sorrow Heart, I pass the word that Sled Works1, ie David Engleson died this past week on 4-8-2020. He was only 56 years old and in perfect health. He just didn't wake up.
    David was in Partnership with Larry Sorenson in creating the Minnesota Sled Works Logo and the spark for creative building and flying of Slope, TD, and Aero Tow airplanes here in the fly over land of Minnesota . David was an artist while still working his day job. A very creative person who cared deeply about people and those less fortunate. a truly selfless person. I am stunned as I was just talking to him the evening before he died. He was so excited to be almost done with his scratch built Habinger seen here on the scale sailplane threads. Others among us including Tim Mattsson, a MSP police officer visited him the nite before he died when David gave Tim some N-95 mask's from Davis's shop to give to the other first responders... That so much like David.
    We plan to rename our Annual Sled Works Aero Tow event in July to the Memorial Engleson aero tow.. We are hopeful of course that we can be together by July...if not...will push it out till it snows up here....
    Crushed.
    Minneapolis Kevin. Click image for larger version

Name:	247.JPG
Views:	307
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	40726 Click image for larger version

Name:	481.JPG
Views:	244
Size:	123.0 KB
ID:	40727

Such horrible news. I was fortunate to attend his Zoom memorial last week, it was inspirational to see and here his friends all come together and tell stories.
    God Speed Dave...
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Our hobby is blessed with so many generous and kind people who help lift everyone around them. I didn't know David well, but had the opportunity to meet him at one of the Monticello, IL events and certainly through his efforts with Larry and others to spread the joy of soaring. This tragedy is yet another important reminder to cherish the people in our lives and make the most of every day.

Thanks, Kevin, for raising this news out of David's build thread so all can recognize a good man and a life too short but certainly well-lived.
      Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

He will be missed. We rode together on at least one trip to Monticello Illinois for the JR Aerotow events of past. The 9 1/2 hour trip would fly by as David was a very good story teller. We also shared a room at Fosters Inn. David was an early riser, and I am NOT. He would get up before the sun had crested the horizon and out the door he would go to the field. I had the pleasure of seeing Dave just a few hours before his death. He had donated to me 5 N95 masks so that people on the front lines could use them. He had them from his wood working hobby. He was a selfless man and really cared about his friends and his family. The Sled Works Aerotow will be different without him but he would want us to move on and continue the event as long as we can.

Tim

Click image for larger version  Name:	A0494F85-5977-44F4-BFEB-DE856EDC3C61.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	207.8 KB ID:	40732
        Last edited by Mosquito; 04-14-2020, 03:56 PM.

Comment

David will be missed. What a great human being!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1278.JPG
Views:	227
Size:	293.0 KB
ID:	40735
          Attached Files

Comment

As the plaque reads "The 10th Annual JR Aero Tow" the award says it all, "Living the High Life'. Click image for larger version

Name:	28655.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	40737

Comment

I heard about his passing last week. Sorry to hear I met him last year at the Sledworks for the first time. Drove to Wichita, KS and my friend Randu McCleave then drove to Minnesota. I had hoped to fly with him again, as Michael says he will be missed.
              Mark

Comment

Sorry to hear this. Condolences to his family and the Sled Works group. The scale soaring community has lost a gem.

Comment

yet another master of the air i will not have the pleasure of flying with and absorbing knowledge from... and to think we are the same age it is scary. thoughts go out to his family in this sudden tragety during trying times.

Comment

Working...
                  X