Simulated Glider Flying

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Simulated Glider Flying

This maybe a tad off-topic so please remove if unsuitable.

While I enjoy giant scale RC sailplane flying I'm also somewhat invested in flight simulation. These two interests have combined into a passion for flying simulated full-scale gliders using flight simulator software. There's various platforms out there such as MS Flight Sim X, Prepared3D & the dedicated soaring simulator Condor. All quite good in their own respects but right now I'm involved with Laminar Research's X-Plane. As the name suggests, their flight modeling is based on actual aerodynamic forces acting on the airframe model. Unlike many flight sims that feel like you're flying on rails, X-Plane has an uncanny fluid & dynamic feel. Add to that some of the best graphics in the industry & you're in for a real treat. Where X-Plane currently falls short however is thermal representation. It does have thermals & it's totally possible to do cross-country flights however the thermals are somewhat simplistic & randomly placed. X-Plane's ridge lift on the other hand is outstanding. Ridge-soaring combined with dynamic real world weather conditions make trips across the Andes a challenging & exhilarating experience. The entire planet is represented, soar anywhere in the world. And with just a few of the many many scenery addons available the view out the window is generally breathtaking.

Anyway enough about the software. The reason I'm posting this is I'm looking for people to join me online for some multiplayer soaring. When I'm not at the RC field I'm usually at home gliding around on the sim. I recently formed a Facebook group devoted to sailplane flying in X-Plane. We use third party multiplayer software so we can see each other's aircraft on the sim. We also have a dedicated Discord channel for voice comms. I've flown RC with many of you folks here at Scale Soaring & would love to maybe do so on the simulator too.

My X-Plane Gliding Facebook Group
    Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Antares20E_7 Andes.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	36326

Nodd - Chris Evans

Oh yes & I forgot to mention, you can also pilot the tow-plane...

Nodd - Chris Evans

Comment

That is Awsome! I love it greatly.
      Gunny
      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Working...
      X