Long range weather forecast

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long range weather forecast

For those of us in the aviation business long range weather forecast usually means a week out. But for really long range weather...........

Scheduling outdoor events always generates the thought "I hope we have good weather".
    Like many others here I grew up in an agricultural community. My grandfather and many of my classmates grandfather/fathers all had orchards or crops and weather was always a topic of discussion for the coming season.
    I know some here are already familiar with the following reference material but from a very early age I remember there was always a copy of "The Old Farmers Almanac" hanging on a post at the feed store and the "old" guys when talking about the weather would always comment with a reference to the same. Some would scoff but in my experience this reference gets pretty close to the mark most of the time so I pick up a copy, new volume usually comes out in September, every year.

So, when scheduling your next aerotow event for the coming year take a peek for your region and see the most likely forecast is for your area. It's not always 100% but it's the best reference predicting weather that far in advance.

Most guys now never look at the forecast before attending an event or you'll miss some of the best flying you can ever get...

WAY too may examples to choose from.
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I think the best way to deal with weather prediction and event scheduling is to simply make events open for 4-5 days. If you get rained out or blown out for 5 days, then you have a right to complain, otherwise, don't sweat it. I have yet to see unflyable weather in a 4-5 day span.

Comment

Weather events are what make events even more memorable than usual...for example..what if it were to snow at the start of an event and a dozen guys decide to shovel the runway by hand...just think how memorable that would be!!!
        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• ARUP
          ARUP commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember never sweating so much in winter cold! lol
      Working...
      X