X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H9 Valiant

Really makes a nice med sized tow plane

Nice Job Ken!!!!
    That sure proves all you need to do is get the sailplane moving and it will fly!!! Really great work on both pilots behalf.
    Of course it doesn't hurt to have two of the best tug and sailplane pilots in the country doing the flying.........

Glad you posted that, I hope to hear more from you guys.

LEN
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

fantastic video. I noticed the wings touched down while dragging. Is it safe practice?

Comment

• Xroadie
        Xroadie commented
        Editing a comment
        It's not much of an issue on a paved runway Stevenson....many models have skids or even wheels on the wingtips.

Hello Ken. I have seen a number of the Valiant Aerotowing and STOL videos you have put out. Very impressive. I have been eyeing the Valiant for a while while contemplating my first towplane. I think I have finally decided to go for the Valiant. I probably have many questions but a few key ones for you and anyone else that wants to lend their experience to the cause.

What choice for engine? I know you have the DLE40 and it looks like it fits well. Out here on the east coast a lot of the main line tow planes sport 100 - 150 size engines. The 85 powered Porters and Miss Tractor seemed like the mid size tugs and I have been behind the 85 Porter with my Blanik and it towed well. My goal would be a configuration that would be comfortable pulling 6m ships with reasonable authority (read safety factor). On the forums earlier life (before hacking) there were some comments that the Valiant would be suited for a 50 - 60 size engine. After pulling with the DLE40 for a while, how do you feel about it and the above points. Anyone else have knowledge of a Valiant with a 50 or larger engine?

Also I see you went for the Tundra style gear. What moved you in that direction. I know towing puts a lot of stress on the gear and tail wheel.

Thanks,
      Jeff

Comment

• kd4jaz
        kd4jaz commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm biased towards my Pawnee, I tow a 6M Ventus with no issues to 1000' in about 1 minute. It does help to have some mass with the towplane when towing larger sailplanes. I had the opportunity to tow a 9M 55lb sailplane, the owner wanted the larger/mass that the Porter, even though the Porter was very capable of towing his sailplane. No doubt, the sailplane pilot can make or break a good tow, the larger the sailplane the more you have to fly them both and not just depend on shear horsepower. Trying to hotdog on the tow will eventually catch up to you. Just my .02
        Marc

Hi Jeff, The only reason I went with the Tundra Style gear is I love the look and am a big fan of bush flying and challenging myself with trying to land in areas like they do. I have not had any issues with the stock gear for towing, it handles it just fine. We have another Valiant at my field that has a 50 single in it and has more power (obviously) I have towed a 50% Hemple KA-8 to release altitude with it and was easier that trying to tow with my 40 twin. I routinely tow 6m ships with my Valiant. It does take a tiny bit more skill from both pilots. The glider pilot might actually have to fly on tow rather that just having raw horsepower pull his nose around in turns and keeping his wings level. The tow pilot just needs to keep a constant climb rate through the entire tow and make nice smooth, not too tight, turns. Also be prepared for a longer time to release altitude. But thats part of the fun! I towed Dan Troxels 6.7M ship to 2000 ft and it took alittle over 5 minutes to get there.If you go with a 50cc just make sure you reinforce the firewall because that single will shake pretty good and you will could premature vibration wear on the airframe. It will handle the 50cc but was designed for a 30cc. I went with the twin because I wanted a smooth engine with minimal vibration. If I were to go this route again I might choose the VVRC 40 twin because the engine will fit entirely in the cowl without having to do cutouts for the plug caps. I also put in a 50oz tank and got rid of the small stock tank because I got tired of having to fuel up after 3-4 tows.

Comment

Thank Ken and Marc you for the info and your experience. For sure I will stay away from towing larger ships till I get some experience under my belt.

Anyway, I decided to give it a try. This will be my first towplane / large gas model so it will be a lot of new things to learn. Picking the motor will be the next challenge. I'm leaning toward the DLE-55 for the best price / performance point but do recognize the singles do have more vibration than the twins. I'm not really sure how to qualify that however. I'll try to size up the space available once the kit arrives. From what I have read, it seems like a laminated wooden mount off the firewall is a better arrangement that using standoffs. Is that a good general plan for mounting? Any thoughts on the standard pitts style muffler vs canister style? Not sure a canister would work on a rear exhaust of the DLE55.

Thanks,
        Jeff

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Comment

Cut it out--- You're having way too much fun..
                  Len Buffinton
                  Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

And the Fun just keeps going....lol

Comment

Working...
                    X