Aviation Concepts "1/3 Scale Cessna 185" Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DROOPED WING TIPS.

Gunny offers a drooped wing tips for this plane, its part of his STOL options. The cost is well worth it to have these great looking and fun to build wing tips.

Click image for larger version  Name:	V5ma%+tbSH6sb2TCRU91nA.jpg Views:	94 Size:	78.2 KB ID:	43722 Click image for larger version  Name:	50vjPdDXR4KsE8ZqeIqFmw.jpg Views:	93 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	43723 Click image for larger version  Name:	haLyDAwqTUmrMZcNg1iDjA.jpg Views:	91 Size:	82.6 KB ID:	43724 Click image for larger version  Name:	%pLao4fvSNejCYELIkCK6A.jpg Views:	90 Size:	96.5 KB ID:	43725
    Last edited by lenb; 02-18-2021, 01:16 PM.
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Of course I have to take it to the next level and make them removable and a bit more scale looking.

I added a hardwood trailing edge to avoid breaking, Scale wing tip lights as Gunny recommends and then added a fiberglass coating which doubles as a seam cover and helps keep everything aligned
      To hold them in place, there is a hole cut just above the bottom spar of the wing and a leftover scrap piece of spar is used as the attachment point.
      A singel 4-40 screw is used through the bottom spar into the wingtip "spar" Click image for larger version

Name:	lu1eQ5P0RzWVl076gCWYUA.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	43731
      Click image for larger version

Name:	K8hWylZxSaylkFVB8jB5lQ.jpg
Views:	596
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	43727 Click image for larger version

Name:	iVtTgxd2RhOQhn1V2dWwsA.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	79.9 KB
ID:	43728 Click image for larger version

Name:	cDftupEXQLe0tAXEdtmKGA.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	43729 Click image for larger version

Name:	2QRNLsGPTbGrTWKwDqRCtg.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	43730
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

The final product after paint and rivet detail added, along with the wingtip light faired in.

Very happy and they look great

Name:	B%9X4jnWTMSNNKGmvlyS+w.jpg
Views:	603
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	43733 Click image for larger version

Name:	CncBSVclQjCoMfoHUo3IWQ.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	43734 Click image for larger version

Name:	t9P2Vv5ISyuxEXrjbm23mg.jpg
Views:	588
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	43735 Click image for larger version

Name:	42tx58urSiirOlHLNXdQng.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	43736

Name:	C5caiQpZS5ed6+IodIuR5Q.jpg
Views:	582
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	43738

Attached Files
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• mlachow
          mlachow commented
          Editing a comment
          Which lighting system is it?

master quality right there... cant wait to see the final pics when it is rtf..........

Comment

Yep. That is really nice Len. Looks great.
          Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Wow, those wing tips looks awsome Len! STOHL... Hmm, that might be Short Take Off Harrier Landing. Lol
            Gunny
            Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Miachow it is unilight. Pg 14 post #198 on my build thread. https://forum.scalesoaring.com/forum...oncepts/page14
              Gunny
              Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Adding a little bling to the fin and rudder

Not wanting to deal with covering around a strobe light , I glassed the top of the fin and rudder with 1/2oz cloth and painted it. Of course I can't stop there. Noooooooo, I have to add fairing and rivet detail. Took about an hour to complete once the glass had hardened. Used a few coats of primer for the fairing look and drops of white glue for the rivets

Name:	8qT5YvNiSPWOoJIKa14vRA.jpg
Views:	477
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	43766 Click image for larger version

Name:	ZQq+wG1HQQKp6nM7MyrqDQ.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	43768 Click image for larger version

Name:	ufOa9qsnQAyOoV1Xon8RgQ.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	43770

Onto covering hatches. PLEASE PAINT THE SCREWS GUYS

Name:	8%3zF0kfQniuqu7JPtcuYw.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	43764 Click image for larger version

Name:	R+BxI0oERga6rcBPfPrfGg.jpg
Views:	488
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	43769

Adding primer circles to mimic light fairings

Name:	AzC+yHekRzeGgsDCu+I1YA.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	43765
                Attached Files
                Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Since modelers will be modelers, I chose to change the look of the airbox in the cowl. The version I saw had an angled inlet, so an angles inlet it will be.

Name:	z0bDGiW4RIag9BERm4DCCw.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	43772 Click image for larger version

Name:	tADGxulfSEOAAowuBBvENw.jpg
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	43773

Covering is a ton of fun...... NOT.
                  But if you just work away at it, someday it will be done.

Name:	BG7k9qIBS3K2i1Q1Cr6TTA.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	43775 Click image for larger version

Name:	vt8zjcfRSymXtjV1r60tQQ.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	115.6 KB
ID:	43776 Click image for larger version

Name:	%FbkJwSKTPi8zxK4THwx%w.jpg
Views:	442
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	43777

Then comes the graphics.

Name:	lx0CIJJkRdioTUZwD77b+A.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	43774
                  Len Buffinton
                  Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

COWL DETAIL

Let's have some more fun with detailing the cowl,
                    If you guys have never tried this, I highly recommend you give it a go.

Get some very thin ( 1/32 ) chart tape ( online ) to use as your panel lines and have at it.

This was a little wider since its a cowl seam where the hood latches down.

4 coats of filling primer over the tape lines and then pull the tape off, let it dry. Sand lightly over the lines to dull them up a bit and your ready for rivet detail.

I simply took a syringe, put some aliphatic resin glue in it and started putting drops down. Its not difficult at all, if you screw up, them wipe it off and do it again.
                    The glue will shrink down a bit so the rivets will be smaller than your initially see when applying .
                    After they're dry, a quick dust over with 220 paper to take any nipples off them and your ready for s quick light primer coat and final paint. Full scale aircraft are not perfect and the rivets are often not perfect ether, especially warbirds. So if you get a line thats not perfectly straight or one is too close to the next, don't worry, it makes it look more realistic.

Name:	Xq7phyrSQU+jYm10btkcRQ.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	43787

Name:	1%jgEdvORNuUPsuJc5LAzw.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	43780 Click image for larger version

Name:	vD2Y0Kp3QceOysnZ1BluMQ.jpg
Views:	482
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	43782 Click image for larger version

Name:	rn9LZNxwT2iIf0seke%2+g.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	43784 Click image for larger version

Name:	0H5aaPm3SjeEFW63B9gZiw.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	43781 Click image for larger version

Name:	d4MSokXNSQC4EO4mlQxVxA.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	43785 Click image for larger version

Name:	xm5kplDkSfu0ayrty7LaMw.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	43783 Click image for larger version

Name:	qLd4VvZlTQ+Sjo5hhCjPcg.jpg
Views:	431
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	43786 ​

Attached Files
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

• RickS
                      RickS commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Details on the white paint? Source, ease of use, colormatch.

Thanks,
                      Rick

Hi Rick,
                    Sorry, Contact Jeremy at the Model Box. He has the connections.
                    Len Buffinton
                    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Len, Others,
                      Does anyone know the status of Aviation Concepts RC, and Gunny? I'm aware he has moved himself and his business from Long Island, NY to West Virginia, but can't find out his status and near-term schedule for reopening his shop. Have we lost the business, or am I simply not patient enough? I've tried email with no success, and don't have a working phone number.

Larry Fitch

Comment

• Steve P
                        Steve P commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Larry - I just sent him a note for you. He is just settling in to WV.

If your on the faceplantbook, he's been logging his closing months in NY and the long move... https://www.facebook.com/gunny.bumburs.3

Hi Larry,

Gunny's new location in West Virginia is very near where I live (25 miles away). This is 400 miles from where he was located in New York and has involved relocating both his home, and his business with all the associated shop equipment, stock supplies, and parts inventory.

This has been an enormous undertaking and I have been helping him as much as I can on this end of his move. He has been working 10 to 14 hour days x 7 days a week since December, 2020.

Current status...he is completely moved out of New York and is now full-time at his new home. There are just a bunch of things that need to be done before he can even begin to get his shop and business back up and running. For example, changing his address on all of his accounts, getting a new Driver's License plus tags and insurance for his vehicles, establishing residency in a new state, etc., etc...all takes time and can be very frustrating.

The shop building on his new property is a 30' x 60' shell building that needs wiring, plumbing, insulation, partitions, concrete floor, and HVAC added before he can even start to set up his equipment and bring in his stock inventory of wood, metal, and hardware. He has a full schedule of contractors coming to view the work and submit bids.

He should have his business office setup in about 10 days...meantime, his only internet access is on his cell phone and that is a bit slow and spotty with his current provider. Getting fast and reliable internet setup is on the long list of things being worked on!

To top off the frustrating things that have happened, his website company did a software (upgrade???) change that basically broke the functionality of his site and that is yet to be corrected!!!

Hope this helps. We all want him back up an running as soon as possible!!!!

Feel free to contact me anytime, I see him several times per week and will happily relay a message.

JimD
                      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Jim and Steve, thanks for the help and update. I was hoping he was still intending to reestablish his business, but as you stated, it is an enormous undertaking, so was afarid the long process may have become too much. In looking at his faceplant account, I was hoping there might be a high level status report on how things are going. To be honest, I hate Faceplant as a general statement--those people know too much about me as it is.
                        Thanks Again, I wish Gunny all the success in the world.

Larry

Comment

He will be back!!!, but let me just give you a glimpse behind the scenes ... he had a wall of small parts bins with nearly every piece of 2-56, 4-40, 6-32, 8-24, 8-32, 1/4-20 hardware (bolts, nuts, lock nuts, T-nuts, flat washers, lock washers, star washers, etc.) in his shop in New York. He took each bin and wrapped, labeled, and boxed it so contents couldn't spill. Hundreds of bins!!! And is just a small part of the stuff he had to move.

His shop filled three tractor trailers!!!!

Then there were the five trips he made with his Sprinter van and huge box trailer. His van is the longest and tallest version too. He had to get three Sea Containers placed at his new place to store all of the shop parts and supplies while his new shop is being finished.

On another note, his dog Arcus is really happy with his new home...10 acres of open fields to run and play in...he has a completely new attitude and literally smiles all the time!!!
                          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Working...
                          X