Testing the BlackStar 5-250cc radial in towplanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Testing the BlackStar 5-250cc radial in towplanes

As some of you know I import Tomahawk Aviation sailplanes, towplanes and radial engines - Tomahawk has recently created a new USA website which has USA price lists. When you are viewing an item, click on "Get Yours" and a Price List tab will be displayed.
    We offer high quality scale RC Planes and RC Jets - engineered in Germany ✈ view all RC airpanes now!

I have other lines too: Rosenthal Models USA (!), ChocoFly, Schambeck, FW Models, Fraesfritz Models, EMS Modellbau, with Torcman and Leomotion for electric motors.

I have been promoting the Tomahawk BlackStar 5-cylinder 250cc Gas Radial engine for several months now, including extensive testing by engine expert Ray English, who has given an enthusiastic report on the quality and performance and fully endorses the engine and it's RCxcel ignition. I am using one for my Tomahawk 1:3-scale Wilga build - I'll have a separate thread for that - and may use one on my PGD Cmelak too.

I have sold a few to scale modelers, but I wanted some real-life towplane duty experience, so I asked John Ellias to try it out on his Airworld Cmelak, in place of his Moki radial. Here is his post from another forum:

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    I have been fortunate to be able to test the Blackstar 5-250 radial engine. I have an Airworld Cmelak that I have been flying with the Moki 215 radial for many many years. Recently I was given the Blackstar to test out. This engine is not the latest V3 edition, it is the V2 edition with the ignition module built into the motor mount.

I bench tested the Blackstar with a Menz 32x18 prop, the same prop I run with the Moki 215. The first thing I noticed was how quickly the engine primed and then how quickly it fired up. 3 flips to prime then 3- 4 flips to fire up. I could never get my Moki to start this easily, even when running an electric fuel pump. I was not running a fuel pump with the Blackstar. For break-in I am running the needles in the factory settings and Lucas synthetic oil at 35:1.

Idle fluctuated from 1000 to 1100 rpms. After a thorough warm up I played with the throttle and the engine ran smoothly at all rpms. I gave full throttle for a few seconds and got 4450 rpms. The best I ever got with my Moki was 4300 rmps with the same prop.

Once mounted on the Cmelak I did 3 flights of about 10 minutes each. In every case the engine primed and started very quickly. It was about the same as starting my DA150. First flight the engine had a small amount of surging in the low end while flying, but that went away after about the first 4 minutes and in subsequent flights there was no surging. I flew without the cowl for these flights as the manufacturer recommends during break-in. The engine ran perfectly for all the flights. After many deadsticks while flying my Moki, I learned an electric fuel pump was required. Once the fuel pump was installed the Moki became quite reliable. For the Blackstar test flights I disconnected the fuel pump. Given how easily it starts and and how well it ran without the pump it looks like I will keep it disconnected.

Here is a link to a video showing the Blackstar installed on the Cmelak: https://youtu.be/j6Zf5RUI1Kw

Overall I am very pleased with this engine. At over $1000 cheaper than the Moki this engine is definitely worth considering. In fact even if it were the same price it would be worth considering.
    John Ellias
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<

Once we start flying again we'll have some flight videos to post.

Bruce DeVisser
    Rosenthal Models USA
    San Jose, CA
    408-921-1900
    Scale and Electronic Accessories, Electric Power Systems, Radial Gas Engines

Oh great.........

I do have a 1/3 scale Frish Wilga waiting for a motor!!!
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Working...
    X