Scale towplanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scale towplanes

I recall a list on this site of full size planes used as tugs in the USA. I think the most used airplane was the Pawnee, but my memory isn't the best. Can someone repost the listing of what is used to tow full-size gliders, preferably in the USA, but a world wide list would be useful as well---if that info is still available.

Thanks,
    Larry Fitch

I have been towed by Super Cubs, L3's, PT-21, Piper Tri Pacer, Cessna 150-150. Jim

Comment

Mr Gallacher, Thanks for the response.

Larry

Comment

Larry, I imagine there are far too many planes to catalog that have served as a towplane at one time or another. The driving force for designating a full-size towplane seems to be capability, cost and availability. PA-25's are ubiquitous, powerful enough for the job, relatively inexpensive and easy to maintain. These are the driving factors at most soaring facilities in the US. I have personally seen the following used for towplanes in the states:
        PA-25 (Pawnee)
        Aeronca Scout
        PZL-105 Wilga
        Cessna 182
        Super Cub

The SSA has a site that lists places to fly in the US. You pic each stateand the vaious clubs will often list available equipment including towplanes that are available.

Here is a resource of pictures from soaring events in the Czech Republic, The Pribina Cup, which is one of the premier events in Europe. There are tons of pics of sailplanes and towplanes. Some of the more arcane ones include Cmelaks. Moranes, Wilgas, etc.

Comment

Larry, several years ago I did a survey of tow planes in use in the USA according to what was listed on the SSA website. Unfortunately, I no longer have the data sheet. What I remember is the Pawnee was by far the most common tow plane followed by the L-19 and Super Cub. There were numerous other planes in use, but none with the numbers of the top three. Various versions of the Aeronca Champ/Scout/Citabria combined filled in the forth spot with various Cessna models after that and then a sprinkle of one-of-a-kind-in-use.

In talking with some full-scale sailplane folks, the reason for the Pawnee being the most common is that it is a "truck" type plane designed to do work. One passenger, no frills, lots of power, easy to find used, and relatively affordable.

The L-19 is a powerful plane that was easy to obtain at a reasonable price as a miltary surplus aircraft, however, the plane has become popular with military restoration fans and that has dried up their availability and increased their price.

The Super Cub has likewise become less available and pricier, but for different reasons. It is a great "off road" sport utility type plane. Another reason is that the Super Cub does not have the speed that suits many of the newer, sleek, composite sailplanes of today's world. Our local soaring group sold their Super Cub in favor of a Cessna 150-150.

Unfortunately, private aviation is in a very different place than what it was in the 1950-60's. Then, the ordinary person could buy a plane much like one can buy a motorcycle now, but those days are gone, now small light plane manufacturers are few and the costs are great.

Seems that our full-scale friends are looking for the next great tow plane just as we are!
          A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Asher, Jim, Thanks for the thoughtful responses. Jim, I think your list is the one I recall. I'm remembering the Pawnee as the most used according to SSA. The current status on the private aviation market is a story unto itself. With a lawyer always trying to make a living, it will likely not change much any time soon. Sorry I said that, or likely will be soon.

Larry

Comment

Working...
            X