XModel Stingray for Slope and Aerotow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• XModel Stingray for Slope and Aerotow

Thread reboot from the hacked site. And, a project that was set aside for a couple years. Time to get back to work!

Here we have a fun winter project. A very sexy XModels Stingray from Italy.

There are two well-know variants of this model. The WingsAndMore version from Germany in 3.3 and 2.75 meters and the XModels in 2.9 meters. All have an excellent reputation for ripping! We had seen the WingsAndMore 3.3 flying at Hahnenmoos, Switzerland during our visit in 2010. It was simply fantastic in flight while I loved the lines that were part fast sloper and part scale sailplane. The best of both! And, therefore, it has been on my wish list ever since. With the new WAM version (spread tow carbon, etc) ringing in at three times the cost of an XModels, however, my choice was clear.

There are two versions of the XModels Stingray. Standard (5.5 Kg) that only has Kevlar/Carbon in the wing saddle area of the fuselage and HS (6.5 Kg) or Heavy Slope which is a full Kevlar/Carbon fuselage construction.

Specifications:
    Wing Area 1023 sq. in.
    Airfoil SD 6061 mod
    Length 69"
    Weight up to 175 oz.
    Controls A-F-E-R

This is my Christmas week project so it will be ready for the Cumberland Spring Soar For Fun in March.

Servos will all be heavy duty, high torque beasts. Expect some JR 8411s, 3421s and a carbon tray pull-pull for the rudder featuring the Aerospace Composite Products KevCord lines. Dual batteries and a 9 channel carbon fuselage receiver even though this is the standard fuselage with a somewhat 2.4 friendly nose.

It will be set-up for aerotow with a release in the bottom. It will also receive a t-nut slightly forward of that to screw in a tow hook for bungee launching at Cumberland.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

This is the video from Euromeeting 2010 that sold me on the Stingray. Starting about about 1:22 in the video you'll see a white and a red one diving deep and pulling out hard! An incredible pass at about 3:00. One whips by toward the end of the video

Still one of the best slope videos out there!

Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Think they are working on a 5 meter one. Saw something on FB some time back. Russ loves his!!

Comment

A long, focused vacation day in a well-equipped shop and getting all the parts prepared and ready for the build can do wonders. Captioned the photos, but here is the state of affairs...

- Wing servos installed, JR3421s on flaps and ailerons, wired and the white servo covers painted in matching blue (drying now)

- Airtronics gap seal tape used for wipers, brass horns set into blocks of epoxy for horns.

- Bottom access tow release made-up and servo installed. I couldn't bring myself to drill a hole in the nose.

- Vertical fin filled with gray foam and Gorilla Glue, fin post made from ply and installed, rudder rigged and pull-pull tray assembled (not epoxied in yet). Cables some other day.

- Started the critical full flying elevator install. Made up the drive and servo arm, ready to install the ball bearings in the fin. Going with a JR8411 for drive power. I have a lot of thinking to do as to how I will mount and access the servo?!?!?!?! From everything I've read full size is the way to go and a %$#@! to get in the space where something smaller like a 3421 would be happier

Lots done. Still lots to do. Cumberland or bust!

Comment

Got tired of noodling with the elevator. Decided the beast needed to come together. Especially to be sure if all the servo wire and wing to fuse mount holes that I drilled actually aligned. 😸 Man this thing is heavy! No lead or batteries yet and it's still a load.

Comment

Looks really nice Steve. Cant wait to see it ripping up the sky!

Steve K
            Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Looks great Steve !

Bob

Comment

Merry Christmas!

Back at it. Photos don't sequence right...

Made up the ball bearing mount for the elevator with the bearings pressed inside the ends of brass tube with a center spacer. Got it installed in the fin with lots of epoxy and milled fiberglass. Finally mounted a JR 8411 servo to drive the full-flying elevator. 155 ounces of torque should do the trick to hard pull-outs and aerobatics.

Comment

Update!

It's now pretty much a sailplane. Just need to do the canopy-to-frame glue, install the receiver and final balance. And, of course, a graphics order to Callie!

Photos below...

#1 Wings are just sexy. The white servo covers on blue stripes was a downer, but paint and vinyl makes them disappear. Linkages done, wiring set and the servos trimmed. Plug and play now.

#2 Rudder is strong like a bull. Now I need to learn to use my left stick.

#3 Total rudder servo overkill, but it needed to be pull-pull and I had the slick servo tray. Replaced the wire with KevCord from Aerospace Composites. Love the product and the clevis setup.

Going to punk out on the canopy. Painted the white tray dark gray. That's `nuff. It's a sloper, not a show plane.

No worries about having it ready for Cumberland now. Will post final assembled photos after the graphics go on.

Comment

Just daydreaming a bit about getting back in the workshop this weekend, so I though I'd sort a few photos. She'll be ready to go by Saturday afternoon.

Comment

A couple more cell phone photos for the record. She's done and ready for Cumberland.

Plane balanced at the rearward CG point with 16 ounces of lead shot in the nose. I'll add stick-on lead and bring it to the forward CG mark for first flights.

I could not bring myself to just do the plain seat pan, so I split the difference and dressed it up a bit. Canopy trim is shot with Rustoleum and came out great. It locks with a wire snaked from the wing trailing edge. Graphics from Callie.

Radio program is launch, normal and acro. The launch mode has full camber in the hope it will rise off the ground quickly. Acro and normal mode have snap flaps. Acro brings in the flaps mixed with the ailerons which should be total overkill, but will be interesting to try. Landing on flaps and down elevator mix.

Comment

Well, she flew. And, damn does she fly well!!!

We aerotowed the Stingray into the valley at Cumberland. With full trailing edge camber and a "pop" of up elevator once it starts moving, the plane jumps right into the air behind the tug. Maiden flight was absolutely and totally uneventful other than floating too much on landing. After adding more down elevator compensation to flap on landing, I have not again changed a single setting on the radio after a full day of flying the plane.

It's truly a fantastic flying sailplane. Incredibly fast, retains energy after a low pass over the field, and capable of all sort of aerobatics. My favorite was simply putting it into a dive, getting it screaming toward the deck, click in the acro mode that couples the flaps to ailerons, and being stunned by how fast it can roll. Then, head back out over the slope and into the valley to get more altitude and do it all over again.

I'm a happy camper.

Comment

Working...
                        X