CNC Router coming soon!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNC Router coming soon!

Lately I have been wanting to prototype my own designs and the thought of printing out parts and cutting them out one by one was not sitting well with me so my first thoughts were "Laser Cutter"
    Well after investigating this to no end I went the route of the Europeans and settled on a CNC router instead. I'm sure a laser would have been better but the cost and upkeep would have been too much for me right now.

What did I get you ask? well I ordered the X-Carve by Inventables. It hasn't arrived yet but I am looking forward to getting it up and running in the next week or two. Look for some new and "Different" sailplanes to come out of the shop in the future!

Tony
    Open source kits to build a machine for milling plastics, woods, and metals
    Team "Casa Del Whaco's"

Tony, this is great fun. My buddy Doug Aldridge and I built one from scratch a few years ago, based on info here:

An excellent resource and online store for CNC machine kits, CNC electronics, and other CNC related parts: Tools that can make almost anything!

Lots of learning, about building, stepper motors, CAD, electronics, etc. The end result is not quite high enough quality to do what we need, but boy did we have fun and learn a lot! They've come a long way, even in three years. Now a lot of the translation from CAD to CNC machine is taken care of for you, but it's still really neat when you cut your first wing rib!

Have fun and keep us posted. My plan is to take the core elements from ours and create a more accurate and "tight" platform to bring down the tolerances.

DS

Comment

I bought a Pro-Basic 10-05 about a year ago. Best thing I ever did in this hobby.

I´m working on a scratch built Yak 50 at the moment. Designed by myself and the parts are milled on the cnc.
      Regards
      Tinus

Comment

Tony, I am very interested in this CNC router. I can't wait to hear how you like it.

Comment

Well my router is up and running, i've been testing out various different scenarios to see how it performs.
          My first "official" project is a remake of a launch dolly I designed for our club a few years ago. The original has been through hell and the 1/4" ply has not stood up to our not so smooth field. I decided to rebuild her with 1/2" ply and a couple of stiffeners front and back. Its a little heavier but much sturdier and hopefully will hold up for quite a while.
          I still need to disassemble and give it a couple of coats of poly and she'll be ready!
          Team "Casa Del Whaco's"

Comment

Excellent work Tony!
            Gunny
            Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Thanks Gunny!

The machine has been idle for a bit while I work on some customer projects but today I finally made something that's going in a plane!

A BalsaUSA WWI plane typically is sport scale and they designed the servos to sit exposed on the lower surface, not my idea of "Looking right" so I drew up some servo covers in cad and routed them out. Total time spent was less than 45 minutes, and doing it by hand would have been a couple of hours easy.
              Team "Casa Del Whaco's"

Comment

Nice Job Tony!

Comment

Tony the possibilities are endless all you have to do is dream them up!
                  Gunny
                  Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Gunny,
                    The dreams are slowly working their way to reality! If I didn't have so much work for other people I might be able to get one done!
                    Ever since finding myself unemployed again more and more people are hitting me up do builds for them, not that I mind the money is useful!
                    Team "Casa Del Whaco's"

Comment

Save time for the really huge project I'll be sending you!

Comment

Nice Tony, now finish that 2:33 build you started. As Charlie would say also, get r' done.
                        Gunny
                        Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

I use Click image for larger version

Name:	cnc guitar.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	35832 to make a guitar recently.
                          Jinan Jeesun CNC Machinery Co.,Ltd – The Best China CNC Router, Laser Engraver, Laser Cutter,Plasma Cutter,Laser Marker Manufacturer.

Comment

I use CNC router Click image for larger version

Name:	cnc guitar.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	35835 to make a guitar recently.
                            Attached Files
                            Jinan Jeesun CNC Machinery Co.,Ltd – The Best China CNC Router, Laser Engraver, Laser Cutter,Plasma Cutter,Laser Marker Manufacturer.

Comment

Working...
                            X