Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering Question

Quick question ;
    My lipo packs all are running 10 guage wire....made a Y connector for them to be in series....the ESC has 8 guage wire and the ES5 connectors I am using seem to be to small ( 10guage ). What connector is everyone using for 8 guage wire ? I basically have to go from 8 guage off the ESC to 10guage one end of the Y .
    Thx Hans

Definitely want something better than EC5 connectors. I don't know what current you are expecting in the system. XT90 would be really good. You might get away with XT60. If you search YouTube you can find all the crazy people figuring how much current the connectors can handle before the connector resistance generates enough heat to desolder the wires.

I think in the other question you had, Steve posted a picture of his setup. He was using XT90's. I think once you see the XT90 and XT60, you will want to cut off the EC5's and replace them. You can also get bulkhead mount versions so you could bolt in two off the speed controller with a jumper between them and then just plug battery packs into them.
    Last edited by mlachow; 02-27-2021, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Rc proplus
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

XT90 all the way. Not only do they have capability, they’re easier to solder. I wipe them with a flux pen to get a quick flow of solder so as to not build up excess heat.

A good tip is when you’re soldering one half, plug it into a blank mating half so that the heat from soldering has somewhere to dissipate to ... into the other half. Helps protect against melting the plastic. You can indeed solder these without removing the metal portion from the plastic.

My current project below is using two 5s packs (that came with EC5s which I cut off and tossed). I’m just using a simple jumper. This stuff is resting in the fuselage before install and the connectors are not fully plugged-in, but you get the idea on the connectors and jumper.

I like the anti-spark versions. They have a green bar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	140.9 KB ID:	43905
        Last edited by Steve P; 02-27-2021, 10:49 PM.
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Thx Steve/Lenny...great info !

Comment

Working...
          X