Using Oracal 651 vinyl.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using Oracal 651 vinyl.

I will be using Oracal 651 vinyl covering on a fully-sheetedl wing but would like to add some trim. Can you paint on this vinyl? I think they print on vinyl for car wraps.

Commercial vinyl printers/cutters use a solvent based sub-dye ink. There are sheets and rolls of vinyl available that can be printed on using inkjet printers but usually require a clear coat. Try H&H Sign Supply or google inkjet printable vinyl.
    i have painted heat shrink films such as Monokote with success. Tape off area, scuff surface with 400 grit wet/dry and spray with Krylon or quick dry equivalent. This might also work with vinyl but haven’t tried it. Stephane Ruelle May have more experience with this.

Comment

I just use a different color Oracal for the trim. THere is also striping tape available.

Comment

Originally posted by jgallacher View Post
        I will be using Oracal 651 vinyl covering on a fully-sheetedl wing but would like to add some trim. Can you paint on this vinyl? I think they print on vinyl for car wraps.
        I've covered several 6+ meter sailplane wings and tails with vinyl. Paint is not an optimal approach. The gloss surface of the vinyl won't grab the paint without scuffing the gloss away and for trim, that means easier and cleaner to use vinyl for the trim. Paint is also more susceptible to wear and chipping. Callie Graphics can do whatever you need in cut vinyl in a range of colors, can print graphics, logos and such in full color, etc. Truly whatever you need. Far superior results and if you order a few spares, a lifetime supply to refresh the plane at some point.

If you're looking for stripes and such, US Cutter sells many types of vinyl by the foot. You can buy some florescent orange and do anti-collision markings, a small bit of colors for stripes on wing bottoms, etc. without having to purchase a whole roll.

Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Obechi-sheeted wing. White vinyl base, vinyl registration number, orange vinyl graphics all in just a very short time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	12 12 ASK 002.JPG Views:	0 Size:	81.0 KB ID:	41842 Click image for larger version  Name:	A 006.JPG Views:	0 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	41841 Click image for larger version  Name:	001.JPG Views:	0 Size:	64.6 KB ID:	41840
          Last edited by Steve P; 07-21-2020, 07:13 PM.
          Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Thanks guys,
            The problem is trying to match the colors in Oracal Vinyl. I am trying to recreate a scheme I used on my full scale 1-26B. The Lime Green is available but the Dark or Avocado Green is not.

Comment

Thanks for all the info. I have found the colors light and dark green I need from 3M. I will be able to do this all in vinyl.

Comment

Working...
              X