Transport solution for 1/3 scale Antares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transport solution for 1/3 scale Antares

Good afternoon, last week a slightly used Baudis1/3 Scale Antares became available. I was planning on looking for this plane, new or used next year when I hang up my ultrasound probe.... But this was an opportunity I just had to grab!

So now I have to figure out how to transport in my Honda Pilot (2011 vintage). My thought is to build a box from Luann ply or better. Remove front passenger seat, I'll tell my wife if she sits in the middle row that I'm her Chauffeur!

I open to other solutions and or suggestions as to a transport box of some kind. I'm not quite ready for a trailer, but I can see it in the picture 😁. Any building tips appreciated.

Dave

Planning on maiden at Muncy in September as long as it happens.

Oops... I did not see the thread in trailers and transportation already started. My bad. I'll check it out.... But feel free to offer suggestions 😃

Comment

Build the box but get roof racks and transport it in the box on the roof.
      Gunny
      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Thanks, I could make it in the shape of a coffin... Bet I'd get some strange looks then,😯

Comment

Congrats. One of the very best all-around sailplanes.

It should run up the middle of your Pilot as long as you are okay w the tail sitting on your center armrest. You can do a cradle out of PVC pipe or other materials under the front section to keep it straight and level. Conio used to pack a bunch of airframes inside his Subaru, so he may have photos of his rack.

Or, join the small trailer set!
          Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

I looked into removing the passenger seat from my 2005 Acura RSX but it has side airbags built into the seat. My mechanic said if the seat is removed, which would require unplugging the electrical connectors for the airbag then the system would turn on the airbag light on the dashboard and disable ALL the other airbags. That didn't sound like a good move for me.

My Hangar 9 ASW 20 gets the tail thru the front seats and then turned on it's left side so the vertical fin is horizontal over the passenger seat. Some PVC racks were made to support the wings over the fuselage.

If you message me your email address, I will send you some photos of that set up.

Dan

Comment

• Soarntz
              Soarntz commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes, I had read about those issues with airbags.... Probably won't do it, but it would add alot of room for planes and equipment.

Steve, yes it does got and does not come a whole lot further than the Blanik. The cradle would secure it and I could cover with blankets. I suppose I might be able to build a box that would also fit in the mentioned space. My goal is to protect it from hangar rash. I suppose a box to store on my shop would help there too.... I take so much to events and if I start camping more.... Then a trailer may be in the ear future. Hopefully my son can find a spce I can store on n his acerage.

Thanks all for the suggestions 👍

Comment

• Steve P
              Steve P commented
              Editing a comment
              My Antares fuse lives in a Revoc fuselage bag. Great protection.

Revoc fuse bags are also an excellent way to protect it and takes up a lot less room than a box! But I also second the trailer suggestion... You can never stop acquiring more gliders!
            ​​​​​​
            Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Originally posted by Sinkhappens86 View Post
              Revoc fuse bags are also an excellent way to protect it and takes up a lot less room than a box! But I also second the trailer suggestion... You can never stop acquiring more gliders!
              ​​​​​​
              Also being considered..... Thanks Kevin

Comment

2015 VW Golf Sportwagen - 3 1/3 scale gliders, fuselages in car, all wings are in wing bags and go in roof top box. Vertical fins are over the center armrest so I have to raise my seat and inch or two to see the passenger side rearview. Used roof top box was about $300.

Comment

Deleted post

Comment

Deleted post

Comment

Working...
                    X