Flap horn adhesive choice/repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flap horn adhesive choice/repair

It's good to be back into messing with my models after a long sabbatical due to some life changes.

Anyway, the last time I flew my H9 ASH-31 the flap horn on the left wing broke loose.
    The attached photos show the problem.
    The question is, would regular epoxy do the job or should I go with something like Hysol 9462 and maybe cut some glass fibers to embed or lay on top of the glue pile?

Thanks, BB

hysol is my choice for things like this

Comment

I agree Bryan, Hysol is a great option. West Systems with a 403 or 404 filler is excellent too, but for a low cost and simple fix, hysol is a go to cure for that.

Glad to see you back again.
      Have you talked to John?
      Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

I don't see a hard point in there. If it were mine, I'd add in a 1" wedge of hardwood or something for the threaded stud to be glued into. Chopped glass and epoxy would work too but the mass of epoxy needs to be tied into the skins better than just surface contact at the hinge line. Cut away the shear web/leading edge of the flap, insert some thin balsa wedges to contain the epoxy mix, and fill the void so that anything screwed into it, or glued to it, is firmly attached to the surface mechanically.

Comment

Working...
        X