Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from Daytona

Hi All,

Dan here from the Daytona Beach RC Association. I don't participate in online chats and forums but have been reading this one for a couple years now. And you guys finally sucked me in with a topic I should contribute to. I haven't had anything to contribute in the past, we are only flying some foamy gliders here. Until now.

Art has a thread going on the Flyfly DG-808s. We just assembled one here a couple weeks ago so I'll put some info into his thread about how we built ours.

We only have a few guys here in Daytona who are aerotowing. We have a few Parkzone Ka-8's, a Multiplex Cularis and now the Flyfly DG-808s. We tow with an Eflite Carbon-Z Cub and the smaller Hangar 9 Pawnee with an Evolution 20cc gas engine. The other Central Florida guys visit us once in awhile because we are pretty much in the middle of them all.

I have met a lot of you guys. Two years ago I went to the aerotow in Hunstville, AL and was just at the one at Mac Hodges' in GA. I was the guy with the exploding Cularis. The good news is she got glued back together and flew the following week.

Dan

Hi Dan,
    Happy to hear you put Humpty together again. That was quite an explosion.
    Thanks for all the help shagging lines in Georgia and we're glad you're finally online with us.

Len
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Dan, it's great you're jumping in. As Len mentioned, thanks for all the help at SERA. Looking forward to seeing you again soon.
      Asher

Comment

"we are only flying some foamy gliders here" You can have a lot of fun with a foamy glider. I have been flying both a hollow molded ASW28 and a Cularis for a couple of years now. The Cularis does not require the larger tow plane so it's easer to get towed.
        Jim

Comment

Sorry we took Dan away from shagging lines at SERA, but we had him working hard with my Carbon Z Cub at the foamie end of the field.

I've been a traveling fool for the last month, and it's not over yet, although this time I get to take the Fun Cub (no room for the Z Cub) to tow my bud's Ka8 in Ohio whenever we can take a break from work.

Dan I hope we can get together for some flying this summer. I had more fun at SERA than somebody my age should be allowed to have:-)

Dave

Comment

Thanks for the welcome.

Dave our little foamie corner at SERA was a lot of fun. I may not be around much starting soon until mid August. Doug and I have been talking about having a sanctioned one day aerotow at DBRCA. We haven't picked a date yet. We need to get some idea from the rest of the FL folks. Maybe sometime at the end of August or the beginning of September. I'll let you know when we figure something out.

Dan

Comment

Hi Dan,

Reading your post was like going back in time for me. Back in 2010-2012 we ran the foamy corner at a bunch of events and gave a lot of pilots their first taste of aerotowing using a Telemaster 40 and an Easy Glider Pro. Here we are at Salem in 2012 with Len and Charlie helping.

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Dan,

I'm glad to hear you guys are considering something in Daytona. I know Kris is interested in towing there soon again even if it is just an informal "let's all meet on this day" type of gathering. The more activity we have the better. I still fly foam more than anything else* (mainly because I killed Jim's lovely ASW20 in 2 and 1/2 days). I have a ton of fun though and enjoy sharing it with anyone who wants to try. Getting people on the sticks will get them hooked.

*Maryann has imposed a limit on sailplane purchases until I can make one last more than one event.

Comment

Yea, we need to do a get together soon at the very least

Comment

Hi Dan, I'm glad you got the Cularis back together, as I said just keep tooth picks and CA in your toolbox at all times!
                    See you at the next one.

Jeremy and Ben
                    SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Working...
                    X