This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Sky High Spring Aero Tow - May 12-15

You asked for it! Two long weekends of soaring at Sky High. New spring event in May joins the annual September dates.

REGISTRATION IS OPEN https://www.scalesoaring.com/copy-of-sky-high-aerotow

pdf version of the event flyer is also attached. Please share.

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	46785
    Attached Files
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

We anticipate flying to begin around 9AM on Thursday morning! If you haven't had the opportunity, please do register so we have an anticipated count.

REGISTRATION https://www.scalesoaring.com/copy-of-sky-high-aerotow

For those joining us for the first time, here are a couple helpful images....

If pulling a large trailer, it may be helpful to swing left to make the right into the flying site
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	909.2 KB ID:	47660

Typical flight line setup. Note large RVs and campers have a ton of space at the south end along the tree line. Sometimes folks do tents up to the north.
    Overnight plane storage in the large barn next to High Acre Lane. Tow planes have first rights.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	238.5 KB ID:	47659
    Last edited by Steve P; 05-03-2022, 05:58 PM.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

awesome Steve, I'm a Muncy virgin looking forward to it! Is there a GPS course?

thanks
      Matt

Comment

GPS Cup course created for Muncy scale

https://www.en.gps-triangle-league.n...=22&fld_id=261

Many thanks to Stephane!
        Last edited by Steve P; 05-05-2022, 02:55 PM.

Comment

UPDATE: Lunch will be available Thursday-Friday-Saturday. Sandwiches, potato salad, macaroni salad, pickles, chips and drink. $5 per person

For those who remember the Mamacita's Food Truck, Angie the owner may be doing a group dinner for everyone on Saturday evening. Details if possible at the event.

I know many do not formally register, but for both reasons above, if you are planning on attending please do use the registration link so we have reasonably good counts.

REGISTRATION https://www.scalesoaring.com/copy-of-sky-high-aerotow

Thanks!
          Steve

Comment

Had this question a couple times - Wednesday arrivals during the day are fine. Len will be on site and I should be there in the 4PM hour.

Even the view from the driveway is sky high!

Name:	
Size:	315.3 KB
ID:	47707

Comment

Who's getting "all charged up" for Sky High?

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	95.6 KB ID:	47710

Comment

charging Lipos very soon tonite, I'm charged already! thanks for GPS course Stephane, arriving tomorrow late. Looking forward to it, see ya all soon

Matt

Comment

Current look toward Thursday and Friday. Bottom two graphs are windspeed and maximum gust....

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	164.6 KB ID:	47725

Comment

Early birds arrived to end the day on Wednesday. The crown rolls in Thursday morning. Shots by David Harris…

Name:	
Size:	230.2 KB
ID:	47727

Name:	
Size:	207.9 KB
ID:	47728

Comment

Thanks to everyone for going sky high with us! Is this heaven? No, it’s High Acre Farm.

Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday saw a great amount of flying! Saturday looked questionable for some who watch the weather and even for us on site as we panicked a couple times seeing rain in the distance, but each time it went around the field and folks kept on flying. Some insane lift on Saturday. Bert is leading the Sunday tow for the diehards among us.

We had winds at some points, huge lift, tough air at others, a couple early morning low ceilings, blazing sun, and some strong storms traveling through the distant valley … but none hit us. All together, most everything sailplane and tow plane wise is going home in the condition it arrived while the people are headed home sunburnt. New friends were made. Good times had.

Huge thanks to Michele for helping feed the troops each day at lunchtime and to Louisa for her help the first two days!

We kept the tow line moving with help from Len, Bert, Kevin and yours truly. Tom was transformed gaining confidence and skill with each Pawnee haul completing more than a few full rotations. Dustin got a few tows in as well.

Can’t say enough about Mark and his wonderful personal nature. When dandelions popped back up on Friday morning, he re-cut the entire site so we had beautiful, lush, green short grass from which to fly. Get a plane stuck in a tree? You gotta convince him not to cut it down rather let us just get it out. We enjoy being there I think as much as he enjoys having our traveling circus show up on his beautiful farm. Like the rest of us he told me he’s already looking forward to September.

September’s event will show a different fall face of this spectacular site, so please plan on joining us! September 15-18. You can believe some of us will arrive a day early… a few crazies perhaps two days early.

Thanks again to all,
                      Steve

Comment

Hey Steve, thanks so much once again for putting this all together. It was a great time as usual, and weather flyable every day. Put a few more flights in this morning before hitting the road. Yes and thanks to Michelle Louisa, Mark and all the tow pilots! A very Beautiful spot and farm.

Matt

Comment

Big thanks to Steve P, Len and Mark for hosting this again. Really glad we're coming here twice a year. See everyone at Windy Ridge in August!
                          Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

I had a blast! Flew every day thanks to our ever growing fleet of tow planes and pilots both seasoned and new. What a beautiful place to fly - thank you Mark! Thanks to Len and Steve for putting this event on and making it happen. BTW there were a few magic hours of incredible lift on Sunday. Sometimes the forecast is a bit off so just go!

Comment

I had a blast as well!

Fresh from the Salem event, my goal was to observe, learn and get to know the sailplane faithful a bit more. Stick time was secondary to obtaining a proper transmitter and model setup, which, with lots of help from Len and Tim K, that goal was accomplished. The Lentus is perfectly trimmed and setup... a good start to learning the finer points of the hobby.

And in all honesty, having just retired from a stressful, mind-numbing job, it was a pure pleaure to sit in my new Woods chair, enjoying the PA countryside and watch some amazing sailplane (and tow plane) piloting skills displayed with equally amazing models. Even the simple joy of watching a rainstorm pass us by (multiple times) with only a few sprinkles was well worth the 6 hour drive. I sure got a nice tan too and made a few new friends as well.

Yes, the Lentus was a bit faster than I anticipated for a newbie glider pilot with very little fixed wing stick time, especially when a stiff tailwind gave her a little push when I least expected it! Glad to have learned that fact at the event with Tim there to save my bacon rather than on my own at Salem with the destruction/loss of a somewhat expensive foamy so early on.

Following the sage advice of Jeff, Tim, and others, I ordered a Night Radian from HH, which arrived today. A much gentler ship for me to get the sailplane basics down as I work my way up (slowly) to larger, more complex models, which I am resolute to fly with confidence someday.

Thanks to all for your input and advice, and to all who worked so hard to put this event on.
                              Your efforts are appreciated.

Gus

Comment

Working...
                              X