• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chenango Bridge Scale Soaring Aerotow - Oct 8-10, 2021 - Binghamton, NY

This event replaces the annual Black Dirt Aerotow in Goshen, NY

Registration https://www.scalesoaring.com/chenang...w-registration

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	156.2 KB ID:	45127
    Last edited by Steve P; 09-13-2021, 07:13 PM.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Awesome! Been wanting to check out one of their events for a while, but it's never lined up. Looking forward to it!
    Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Just heard from the organizers that they're settling plans with the airport managers and also arrangements for those looking to arrive and set-up camp Thursday afternoon.

Flying starts Friday morning.

Please help Steve Richmond out by pre-registering so he can provide expected attendance levels to the club and airport.

https://www.scalesoaring.com/chenang...w-registration
      Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Registered!
        Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Update on the event. Just got some new learning from Steve Richmond and Tony at the club about the plans for this coming weekend.

There is a defined flying area. In working with the Binghamton airport, the club has agreed with them that we will not leave the boundaries of the Chenango Bridge airport. Note in the photographs below that there are neighborhoods off to three sides. So this makes sense anyway.

Altitude is capped at 2000 feet. Again, this has been negotiated with the Binghamton airport. Also should not be an issue. In both this case in the field boundaries we are going to have to look out for each other.

On the subject of looking out, we will all have to monitor for air traffic that may wander in to our flying space. Again, not different than any other event. We are close to a busy airport all though.

Wet power flying at the field is between 10A-7P, so expect towing to start right at 10.

The question of the food truck is still up in the air. There may not be sufficient attendance to support it for all three days. I’m waiting to hear back about the ultimate decision on that from the organizers.

Please note the field flying boundaries below.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	404.4 KB ID:	46045

Here is the plan set up for trailers and the runway.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	172.0 KB ID:	46046

Comment

Thanks for the update. I don't think a GPS triangle fits in those constraints.

Comment

Originally posted by mlachow View Post
              Thanks for the update. I don't think a GPS triangle fits in those constraints.
              This is what Stéphane laid out….

Comment

That course exceeds the boundary to the east. And typical turns on the other two also will get close to the residential areas north and west. If we could fly over the river east then something might fit the other boundaries.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211003_073900.jpg Views:	0 Size:	134.1 KB ID:	46058
                Even if you squeeze it in the space you will probably end up outside the box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20211003_073112.jpg Views:	0 Size:	126.9 KB ID:	46056

You could do Sport Class but I don't think Scale Class is possible with the flying restrictions.

Attached Files
                Last edited by mlachow; 10-03-2021, 01:13 PM.

Comment

• Steve P
                  Steve P commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, Mike. That was my hunch. Given the growth of GPS, event organizers need/should take this into consideration. Not sure if all is permanently lost at Black Dirt, but those wide open spaces are a no brainer.

• mlachow
                  mlachow commented
                  Editing a comment
                  We can do the shorter sport class course

The course has been adjusted to use the Sport Class task. That way the course and some space for turns all fit within the field boundaries So the triangle distance is 350M instead of 500M and the entry altitude limit is 400M. The task on the web site has been updated.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20211004_163015.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	46084
                Last edited by mlachow; 10-04-2021, 09:37 PM.

Comment

• Steve P
                  Steve P commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks, Mike!

I heard from Steve and Tony who are organizing the event. Food truck vendor is confirmed and will need our support.

Here is the note from Tony...

As for the food vendor... as odd as it seems, this guy is not in it primarily for the money. He comes in, not expecting to even break even. He does it for the love of creating great food and making people happy. He's so good at what he does that, folks from Muncie that were at the NASA event in July, asked him to come to AMA HQ to provide food for the NATs. He doesn't serve "fast food". He engages and entertains the people he creates food for. He really like doing our events, because of the type of people that attend. They are friendly, pleasant people and he enjoys making them happy.

Comment

Kremer Aerotow team will be all set up Friday morning, how many customers will be needing tows?
                  Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• Steve P
                    Steve P commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I haven’t gotten a count from Steve Richmond. I don’t anticipate the tow queue will be overwhelmed. ;-)

We will be required by the club to have a pilot’s meeting each morning to review the points above regarding boundaries, spotting, altitude, ATC and such. I was asked to sanction the event, so that part is on me as CD and will be quick. Steve and Tony will has their own to add as the organizer/host.

There will be a Ziti dinner Friday night for the flyers and club members. $10 donation. Wendy and I have plans that evening so we will have to miss.

• hello82
                    hello82 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I'm stuck working out of town...wish I could make it...see you all in Cumby! Matt

Set up has begun.
                  Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Fantastic first day. Ceiling lifted and we flew through sunset. Lots of GPS laps, lots of towing. This place is a premier location! Looking forward to tomorrow!
                    Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• mlachow
                      mlachow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thermal conditions were not the best on Friday. It wasn't until around 2PM until you could safely get to full launch height to start the course I had two attempts with a low cloud sitting at 300 over the start line. Later in the afternoon I did find one thermal that was good for over 1.6m/s at times and one last one late in the afternoon a little over 1m/s. My best GPS laps were 6 on Friday. I had one good thermal that I picked up right after the 3rd turn on the third lap. Definitely under 100M for the start of the thermal but I got back up above launch height for another 3 laps. My last flight was interrupted by a GA takeoff from the airport. I found an OK thermal on the 2nd lap and then rounded the 3rd turn at which point I had to hold position until the takeoff was completed. That burned over a lap of altitude.

The Sport Class course was different. It really is a much smaller area and on a weak day, it is not uncommon to have no activity around the entire course in the afternoon. It would have been nice to have tried it with some full sun hitting the solar array which was located around turn 2. I hope guys had some better luck on Saturday.

First flights on the Jastrzab today.

IS-4 Jastrzab, Wingspan 3.95m Length 2m Weight 8-10kg Root chord 470mm Manufacturer - Oldgliders.com Web Site - https://oldgliders.com/en/offer/is-4-jastrzab-kit/ Main Wings - Two Piece Main Wing Materials - Balsa / Ply / Pine / CF Joiner Airfoil SD3024/SD3021. Or at least something close to them. Fuselage Single

Last edited by mlachow; 10-11-2021, 12:22 AM.

Comment

Low ceilings didn't deter us from getting a lot of flying in at Chenango

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• Steve P
                        Steve P commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Finally — somebody caught me making a decent tow plane landing! Love the Arcus EDF chase segment at 6:55. Thanks!

• Sinkhappens86
                        Sinkhappens86 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I had a blast chasing the Arcus, glad it came out as well as it did!

• hello82
                        hello82 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        awesome guys!! looks like a great field and much fun,....great to see the low cloud cover from the tow planes perspective.
                    Working...
                    X