Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lancaster Aerotow, Lancaster PA. Aug, 22nd-25th

From Tim

The event is running from the 22nd through the 25th arrivals to the field will have to be on Thursday the 22nd in the AM please understand that this is an working sod farm and at times we may have to work around their scheduled chores.

There is room for camping there is no hook ups nor any camp fires. Lunches will be available each day for a small donation. I will be on site Thursday morning to help direct the parking and any questions. The last meeting we had it looks that we will be flying off the West field so parking will be a small challenge where the trailers will not be right beside the flying field. If you would have any other questions please feel free to email me directly at timkirkessner@gmail.com
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Kremer Aerotow Team is planning to arrive late Thursday morning!
    Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Current plan is to arrive Friday morning with camper. Slim chance that could be Thursday morning (will be last min if it happens).

Comment

I'll be there Thursday morning.
        Gunny
        Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Hopefully be there by noon Thursday.

Comment

Planning on Thursday morning.

Comment

Hey there ...will arrive mid afternoon Thursday or Friday early AM...first time here...so not 100% clear on what Tim says in first post about AM arrivals only, or is that just preferred, ...due to working SOD farm...?

thanks
              Matt

Comment

• Steve P
                Steve P commented
                Editing a comment
                He means NOT getting there Wednesday PM

Event is moved!!!!!

Saturday and Sunday flying will be at the Mt. Joy RC Club. 844 Longenecker Road

Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Made it out to the LASS field Friday to a rainy start. There were a few breaks that allowed for some fun flying and everyone was enjoying the dreary start. It was discovered that there was a TFR put in place for an event at Lancaster airport that literally has the event covered by less then a 1/4 mile! Quick thinking from Tim and several local members allowed for the event to be moved to 844 Longencker Rd for Saturday and Sunday with clearance from the airport to fly Friday.

So with the rain breaking early after noon, out came the planes with a count of 12 very nice sailplanes and 2 tow planes working together filling the sky with an average of 5 sailplanes almost continuously. The field as always was in perfect shape and the group was taking advantage of the overcast sky up to the point where this old dog needed to depart. It has been many years since I had been to a scale event and as I left I swore that would never happen again!

The group never let the rain nor the TFR slow them down. They would be smiling and flying no mater the hurdles and their drive to get in the air is truly infectious! Pictures to follow as will a roster of pilots and planes I hope.

Dober

Comment

Don’t really understand how the “air show” “snuck up” on the organizers....did the airport decide to have the “air show” 3 days before the scheduled Aerotow??? We were promised acres and acres of sod farm grass and ended up with a postage stamp of grass in the middle of a soybean field.......
                  TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

My granddaughter Olivia was hoping Len would give her dolly a ride. I think Len was planning on keeping her dolly. Len, thanks for your patience with Olivia's distraction.

Comment

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      You go, Len! Olivia will probably want to fly sailplanes or models of such some day because of your attention!

Didn't think I would be able to make any events in August, but the stars aligned and a one day trip to LASS became possible (about 3 hour drive one way). Decided to leave home early morning to be at the field by 9:00am and then leave the field by 6:00pm to be home by 9:00pm.

Arrived at the alternate field location right at 9:00am. The field is a typical small group power club field and now, with the invasion of the giant scale aerotow group, it was a bit overwhelmed. Nevertheless, it was a beautiful day and we had an absolutely great time! Got to put in three one hour tow sessions with my Smellyak, which also allowed me the chance to do some fine tuning of both flight controls and engine.

Lunch was exceptional too BTW!!!

Thanks to all for making the trip well worthwhile!!!

Looking forward to Sky High next month now. 😎👍
                    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

A great weekend of flying, talking, food (especially that lunch) and always good friends. Home with a few repairs but nothing serious so that makes is an exceptional trip. I got some video and a few photos that I will work on but take a look at this just for some fun.

Excellent effort to move the venue after last minute airport issues. The alternate looked a little small but I found it easy flying. So thanks to the Mt Joy club for use of their field for the weekend.

Comment

Got home safe and sound. Great weekend. Awesome flying at the sod farm! Wish all fields could be so huge and flat. Moved to the alternate field and had a great time. Super lift and a nice field.
                        Thanks for setting it up on short notice. Lunches wee great as well. A big thank you to Tim, LASS and Mount Joy!!!

Steve K
                        Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

At the risk of repeating, although worthy it, the weekend in PA was a blast.
                          1) yes, we were all excepting to once again fly on the big, huge sod farm, which we did for a couple days. Then an airport issue cropped up and we were forced to move the location to another field. Thanks to Gary Holiday for his immediate solution to the problem. Was it ideal, not totally. Was it sufficient? ABSOLUTELY. And the club could not be more welcoming and generous. Thank you Mt Joy flyers.

There are two ways to look at everything. My way was to use this field to sharpen my landing skills. The group of pilots we had on hand were exceptional and everyone worked together perfectly to make the situation and location work for everyone.

see you all at SKY HIGH
                          Len Buffinton
                          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Working...
                          X