No announcement yet.

SLED - WORKS Aero Tow, Owatonna, Minnesota

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes! Thanks Wenger! You guys are awesome! I'd pay fees if they need fuel expense. Larry, thanks for reminding us... padding to protect nose of sailplane and a strap to keep the tail upright. You can stack a lot of sailplanes that way.

Comment

Looking forward to seeing you ag'in Michael! Bring a jacket southern boy!

Comment

The event starts a week from Tuesday! On Sunday we had an informal "warm-up" tow day. Had a few new gliders at the field as well as two new tow planes.

Can't wait for the 13th!

Comment

FYI, I have a 5.4 meter LET Reiher for sale which will be available for pickup at the event. Check out http://forum.scalesoaring.com/forum/...1-3-let-reiher for details.

Comment

Small Tow Planes Make it Big

The aerotow starts on Thursday! Don't forget, we have a number of 20cc and smaller gas and electric tow planes to pull up your 2-meter, 3-meter and smaller, lighter sailplanes. In past years we have had as much action with small gliders as we have with the big scale stuff.

Fun comes in many sizes!

Comment

So what's happening up there!! As you know, no pictures or video it did not happen

Jeremy and Ben
              SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

I did get a text from Tim showing the Bidule towing. Its been busy there, so hopefully someone will post some pictures for those of us stuck working this weekend.

Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

And then there was Silence

Comment

I was too busy towing to take any photos...I think we had about 30 guests or so. Furthest drive would be Mike Kelly who is coming home with Larry Sorenson's LET Reiher in his truck !!! at least this way I will be able to see it fly again. I hold a new record of losing two tow planes in two days...first one to a dead stick with my 108 Pegasus and snagging a power line with the tow line...40 foot dive to the ground....the next day getting disoriented late in the day and having a fly away landing in a corn field a quarter of a mile away...

We had good weather for all four days but Friday was the best and I think we had 14 sailplanes in the air at times...boomers...I got to thermal the Pumpkin and the HKM 28 in really good conditions..Tim was loving his Arcus of course...Everyone had a great time I think.

there are a few photos on rcgroups....hopefully someone will post more...
                    Kevin

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Tim Waiting for Another Tow (640x361).jpg
Views:	238
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	18221Click image for larger version

Name:	The Pits 1 (4) (553x640).jpg
Views:	253
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	18222

Sorry, I did not bring any type of computer or tablet to post images this weekend! We were busy from sun up til sun down!

Comment

Name:	Tim Coming in with his Biduhl (640x369).jpg
Views:	238
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	18224

What a great weekend! As Kevin stated above, we had awesome weather with the most perfect days being Friday and Sunday. A little heat on Saturday but many long flights were made. I really got a chance to put my 170 Bidule to work and she performed flawlessly. The DLE 170 is starting to gain more power as I run it fuel through it. The brakes were a show stopper. The only time I had to turn the plane around on the runway was when I didn't realize that I had not put my flaps down on landing. Otherwise, I could stick it right at the spot I needed to and pull the next plane up. Kevin's "Pumpkin" which tips the scales at around 50 pounds, was my biggest challenge and it towed up behind the Bidule like it wasn't there.

Kevin was so lucky to have little damage to his Pegasus after he lassoed the power line and put it down nose first in a field. A night of work and she will be flying again. We all thought his Extra tow plane with DLE 120 was a goner when it went into a corn field about a half mile from the field. It was found with the help of a Quad and only had a broken prop. He was towing with it the next morning.

What a great event!

Tim

Comment

Name:	20170714_163408 (640x480).jpg
Views:	237
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	18226
                          We can never have enough pilots involved in Aerotow. This is my friend Mike Frieborg that recently retired from a career at Medtronic. He is an avid RC pilot and came down to watch the event. I brought along my Cularis and we did a simple tow line hook up using velcro which he didn't believe would work. He was towed up by a smaller electric cub and he flew it perfectly. A slight turn left and the velcro releases! He towed to about 400 feet and worked thermals for almost a half hour, on his very first flight.

One of the things we pushed for at our 2nd annual Sled Works event (now 3 years ago already!) was smaller electric aerotowing. We now have about a half dozen or better electric tugs at each event. The electric tows of small foam gliders was phenomenal this year and many great flights were had with foam gliders. At times, they were towing at a faster rate than the big ships! This allows those that choose to not buy bigger glass ships to enjoy aerotowing side by side with the bigger ships!

Mike had a great time and had never seen anything like an aerotow event and I do believe we have a new customer in aerotowing with him. As Len once said, we need to be the ones that get others involved in this wonderful hobby!

Tim

Comment

Name:	20170714_183042 (640x480).jpg
Views:	53
Size:	208.0 KB
ID:	18228

Here the Bidule takes a break under the protection of a nice sunshade cover, while other tow pilots have some fun. Saturday was 95 degrees and humid. In contrast, Thursday was maybe 70 degrees at the highest with my people grabbing sweaters, jackets and blankets in the early evening. Friday was low 80's as was Sunday. The heat did keep some from assembling and flying Saturday but those that dared fly got great flights. We could not have asked for better weather this weekend!

Tim

Comment

A few pics.....

Comment

• Xroadie
                                Xroadie commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Looks like some cool stuff!!!

Is the drone video of Rusty's quad leading us to my tow plane in a sea of corn. This is a one minute video. at the end, the camera pans out and you can see how much corn and how far
                              I had gotten from the field in just seconds. I wish to thank Rusty and Greg Klein and his grandson Spencer for helping me dragging my plane a quarter mile through all that corn to safety that nite.
                              kevin
                              Last edited by kjkavaney; 07-21-2017, 04:16 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Working...
                              X