Annual Turkey Tow - Friday, November 25, 2016 - Salem, CT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Annual Turkey Tow - Friday, November 25, 2016 - Salem, CT

Our annual final farewell to the flying season. Work off all that Thanksgiving eating with a full day of aerotow!

Join us this Friday, 11/25 at the RC Propbusters fiend in Salem, CT. In the event of inclement weather, Saturday will be our back-up day.

Directions to the flying field here... http://www.rcpropbusters.com/flying-field.html

Steve & Len
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

sweet! I'm in.

Happy thanksgiving all

Matt

Comment

Steve
      Happy Thanksgiving to all. However here in SoCal we tow thought the "WINTER" come out and visit.
      Jim G
      Last edited by jgallacher; 11-21-2016, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Looking forward to the event. I'll be there with my trailer and my Bidule. I may have something new to try out as well.

Lunch ?

I typically bring some things to make sandwiches.......let me know if that is of interest.

Bob

Comment

Woohoo Turkey Tow! T-HEVY will be there.
          Nodd - Chris Evans

Comment

Looking forward to another good outing.
            Thanks bob
            Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Count me in~ Bringing The Bird of Time electro powered

Comment

In addition to Bob's new 40% Carbon Cub that will maiden tomorrow.... old Haulin' Glass is back from the dead following its unfortunate incident in Vermont several years ago! Needs Len's Carb Tweaking Service and then should take to the air at the Turkey Tow.

Over the past few years, I've occasionally dug the wreckage out of its storage box, pieced the shards together with thin CA and masking tape and then used those as templates to cut new parts. Marc laser cut a new wing joiner for me so that the angle would be perfect.

It's a whole bird again. We always loved that this tug flew like it was on rails. Hope it's every bit as good again.

Proof that time and patience heals all...
                Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Still waiting for a positive forecast for tomorrow. Backup day Saturday looks a bit better at this point.

Stay tuned for an update soon.

Steve?? What do you think.
                  Len Buffinton
                  Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Weather Underground provides local & long-range weather forecasts, weather reports, maps & tropical weather conditions for locations worldwide

Today’s and tonight’s Salem, CT weather forecast, weather conditions and Doppler radar from The Weather Channel and Weather.com

The Groton, Connecticut Aviation Weather Report Forecast, Wind Speed, Wind Direction and Temperatures
                    Nodd - Chris Evans

Comment

I would vote for Saturday based on the forecast........looks like it should be better than tomorrow.

Bob

Comment

TURKEY Tow is postponed until SATURDAY... Weather for Friday looks like a damp and low cloud day.
                        Saturday is looking better for sun but maybe a bit of a breeze.

So after a group consultation its preferred to tow on Saturday......

See you all there.

Len & Steve
                        Len Buffinton
                        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Turkey Tow Spy Photos!!!

A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Thanks for posting the pictures Jim.

It was an really nice day today, great decision to hold off until today for this event. Good turn out and the lift was actually pretty good at times. Thanks to Steve and Don for providing the tow machines and to Bob for letting me play with the Carbon Cub all afternoon. It flew great and looks fabulous.
                            We had a new visitor today, Paul (Prayoub1 ) came out and flew with us. It was fun to see the look on his face when we started towing the big sailplanes. Hopefully Paul will be a regular addition to the group, he's a real pleasant guy with lots of energy!!

So this is the end of the official towing season for us here in the Northeast. What a year!!!
                            Thank you to everyone who came out week after week and supported this great hobby..

Off to the shop.

Len
                            Len Buffinton
                            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Had a great time today at the Turkey Tow with the group.

Len was very kind to do some test flying with my Carbon Cub and also get some towing in with it. Seems to work pretty well, just need to get a few gallons or so of gas through the engine and get it up to full speed so to speak. It was wonderful to get it finished up and flying before the end of the season......it flies great !

Len did an amazing job with the final landing of the day for the cub (which came earlier than I hoped !)........Len had an absolutely perfect and gentle landing in progress with the wheels gliding softly on the field when the right dampner on the landing gear failed......Len didn't even blink......he cut the engine and kept the plane as level as possible until it rolled to a stop. Not a scratch on the plane anywhere.

Here is a picture:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20161126_143630_resized.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	872.9 KB
ID:	14162

Bob

Comment

• JimD
                                JimD commented
                                Editing a comment
                                Congratulations Bob!!!

What a beautiful airplane, have always had a soft spot for Cubs...If she was mine, I would wait for the most perfect days and then just slowly and gently fly around the field so everyone could simply admire her beauty!
                            Working...
                            X