• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to pack sailplane fuselages in an enclosed trailer

Click image for larger version

Name:	4RAVS0813MC054987-102.jpg
Views:	401
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	44589 Now that I have my five feet by eight feet enclosed trailer, I'm trying to figure out the best way to transport fuselages in the trailer. I have Revoc bags for the fuselages and assume I need to build boxes lined with soft foam or cotton material to keep them from getting scratched when bouncing around on the road. Can some of you post some photos of how you pack your fuselages to keep them safe and sound while transporting them?
    Thanks,
    Steve Gibson
    Houston, TX

In both our trailers we use cradles for the sailplane fuses and they screw to the floor or shelf they sit on. In the smaller one, I built PVC racks for wings.

Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Thanks for your help !

Comment

Congratulations!

Here is my 4X5X10 trailer loaded for Cumberland Fall 2020 trip = Bidule 111 + 42% 7 Meter Salto + 6.6M Baudis Antares + 5.3M KV Duo + 5.3M EMS Arcus + 6.6M HKM Nimbus + 4.5M Valenta Salto + two 3M slopers.

A few of my fuselages are in Revoc fuse bags, others sit in cradles made of PVC pipe and pile insulation. Tip panels and tails are placed around the fuselages. This config give me total flexibility to bring any of my 14 different scale sailplanes. I've also traveled with two Bidule 111s staggered on the top shelf.

Boxes are 1by frames made with a Kreig pocket screw tool, then sheeted with thin Luan plywood. Furniture slides on the bottoms. Box floors are lined with workshop floor matting from Harbor Freight. Ends have 3/4" pink foam inside the framing with a piece of the floor matt as the overall outer layer. No side to side padding.

Many thousands of miles travelled, zero issues.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	92.8 KB ID:	44597
        Last edited by Steve P; 05-12-2021, 04:24 PM.
        Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

I am using a variation of a system by Scott Steward. Cradle holds the fuselage. A key on the forward end of the cradle slides around a block on the platform and then the real of the cradle is screwed to the platform. Everything is locked in nice and tight. I also have one fuselage in the box (which I got from Steve P) along with wings and stablizers.

downside is each glider needs a custom cradle.

This is a 4 x 4 x 10 trailer.

Click image for larger version

Name:	B284DE93-6C86-4565-98EE-A3A86E77F6DA.jpeg
Views:	363
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	44600 Click image for larger version

Name:	006DC701-AB03-40BF-84A5-E3718DC125DB.jpeg
Views:	368
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	44601 Click image for larger version

Name:	EC1432A7-E2AF-4EC6-B0C1-C30CA4E0278E.jpeg
Views:	360
Size:	140.5 KB
ID:	44602 Click image for larger version

Name:	7DF0C1EE-B976-40B1-B5E8-5D912D6C8014.jpeg
Views:	360
Size:	109.7 KB
ID:	44603
          Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for the photos ! I'm going to get started on a cradle for my Baudis Diana II and then my Valenta ASW 31 when it arrives !

Comment

Hoot - Any idea when you will get your ASH-31? I ordered one last fall from Icare...still waiting...

Comment

I ordered a Valenta ASW 31 from Soaring USA. They were supposed to have arrived by now but they expect them soon.

Comment

Working...
                X