Northern Tool folding aluminum trailer four feet by eight feet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northern Tool folding aluminum trailer four feet by eight feet

Has anyone used this trailer to haul sailplanes? It is four feet wide and eight feet long. It costs $639.00 and folds in half so I can store it along side a wall in my garage.
    One problem I see is it has 12 inch tires and they say you shouldn't tow it faster than 45 miles and hour. That is a huge negative.
    I don't want an enclosed trailer because i don't have room to store one at my house and I don't want to pay a monthly fee for offsite storage.
    Any suggestions ?
    Thanks,
    Steve Gibson

I went this route too thinking it would be the best for me.
    yes you can fold it and store it in the garage but the pain it is to build a decent enclosure that is not leaking when it rain...

after a year of use, I solid the frame, cut the crate I made and bought a 4x10 trailer that I store on the side of my house between bushes...

best luck with your project
    Stéphane
    Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Stephane,
      Did you tow the trailer faster than the recommended 45 Miles per hour ? That is the biggest concern to me.
      Thanks for your help !

Comment

I have one of these that I built many years ago (when the outfit was still called Northern Hydraulics). I initially built the bed as specified so it could fold up but didn't like that, so I rebuilt it as a non-folding trailer. I have rebuilt the bed many times over the years. I have used it for a couple of interstate moves (way back when I left PA and moved to CO, and then last year when I moved from CO to WA. I've had it on the highway at speeds up to 75mph. I've used it on many hunting trips up into the CO high country on bad roads, and trips to WY & AZ, hauling a Honda ATV and hunting/camping gear.
        I repack the wheel bearings annually and replace them every few years just to be safe. I had to replace lights many times and last time I replaced them I upgraded to LED lights. If I'm on the highway with it I stop occasionally and feel the tires & bearings to make sure they're not getting too hot.
        The axle is pretty light weight, rated for 1/2 ton, so you don't want to overload the trailer.
        It has been a good little trailer for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
          Stephane,
          Did you tow the trailer faster than the recommended 45 Miles per hour ? That is the biggest concern to me.
          Thanks for your help !
          65mph no problem

Stéphane
          Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Thanks for the feedback ! I appreciate your help !

Comment

Working...
            X