Slingsby Falcon III by Fred China

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slingsby Falcon III by Fred China

This thread restores a lost earlier one on Fred China's Slingsby Falcon III.

Fred is a resident of Vancouver, BC and has been model building for the majority of his years. Among countless many competition gliders he also built approximately 18 vintage scale sailplanes, most of them 1/4 scale, and each a scratch built labor of love. The model featured here made its way to Connecticut thanks to Fred and significant amount of logistics provided by Dennis Brandt in California who first transported several of Fred's models to Los Angeles including the one destined for my fleet.

The original Falcon III had a 17.69 meter wingspan. The model is 1:4 scale. Here's a bit more on the Falcon from the web...

Espin Hardwick persuaded Fred Slingsby to build a two-seat version of the Falcon. Slingsby enlarged the fuselage to accept side by side seating for pupil and instructor, and enlarged the aircraft to cope with the increased weight. The increased span wings were attached to a rectangular centre-section which was supported by six struts. To increase the field of vision the centre section had celluloid panels and the wing root fairing strips were made from a clear plastic, both of these vision aids tended to have short lives, and were usually replaced with doped fabric or plywood as appropriate.

First some Falcon recon...
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Here is the Falcon model after a long cross country trip. The freight companies did their best to damage her, but she survived in perfect condition. The crate, less so...

​
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Once everything was in order, we actually took the time to first repair, seal and add new logos to the crate. This is not any wooden box, it too is a Fred China creation!

Comment

Next on to the beautiful sailplane. A few minor graphic additions and a swap to more current radio gear, 2.4G receiver, and added dual redundant battery power to provide some protection to potential failures. Fred made it clear he wanted his planes flown, not stored or displayed. Faithful to that, this was all about getting the Falcon into the sky

Comment

And fly it does! The plane first flew in Salem, CT then made the trip to the Horizon Aerotow in Illinois and then on to the SKSS event in Delaware.

It's typical to have people say that a sailplane has "no bad habits" but this one certainly is the case. It tows like a dream (keep the speed reasonable) is a pussycat in flight with very good aileron authority, shows excellent thermal indication/coring abilities, and just eventually lands by getting her a foot off the ground and waiting until grass and wood meet. A floater for sure, but a nimble one!

Comment

To this day, the Falcon is one of my true treasures. Yes, I only fly it at the biggest fields in the best conditions, but I see myself more as a caretaker, responsible for stewarding this model into the future and making certain it lives on as a testament to Fred's extraordinary craftsmanship.

Comment

Two final full-scale photos so you can see how faithfully the model follows its bigger sibling.

Comment

It sure is pretty! I've seen it on the ground and in the air. It's nice!

Comment

Love the underneath shot in post 6. Just lovely

Kevin

Comment

This is THE plane that got me thinking about scale. Beautiful

Comment

Working...
                    X