1/3 KA7 Roehnadler build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1/3 KA7 Roehnadler build

I have started to build the 5.3 meter KA7 I bought from Daniel Plouffe last summer.
    The model was originaly bought from Etienne at Icare-rc.com http://www.icare-rc.com/ka7.htm

The Kit could be considerd as an "almost ready to cover" model since the wings and stab are prebuild but there is still some work to do... of course !
    The model comes with no instructions except a single page notice written in german.... So you need to have some building experience to complete the model, but I guess very few R/C enthousiast will start with a 1/3 scale sailplane project .

Still the ready build parts are very well done and will need little work, if any. See by yourself with the pictures.

Pre installed top and bottom scale airbrakes.

I had to build the rudder almost from scrach since the provided parts were scarce and I had no plans.

I love the very spectacular forward swept wing planform on this aircraft !

Quite a big model too !
    Last edited by Danger Dan; 01-17-2016, 03:36 AM.

Hi Dan

Glad to see you aboard. I saw the post about the other planes you are giving makeovers.
    Looking forward to seeing the progress!

LEN
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Looking forward to fly with you buddy !

Dan

Comment

Precise work dude.

Comment

Hey Salut DangerDan!!!

Nice to see you here; beautiful glider you're building there! Hope to see you (and the plane ) this summer at our annual Trois-Rivieres aerotowing event!

Marc

Comment

• Danger Dan
            Danger Dan commented
            Editing a comment
            You can count on me, mon ami Marc !

wow. Mammoth plane build.

Comment

Managed to calculate and find the CG margin today with that nice little tool you guys probably know of : http://adamone.rchomepage.com/cg_calc.htm
            There are a couple of those "calculators" on the net but I find this on quite easy to work with. There is also some short explanations on the page that I found very useful.

This is what I got with my Ka7 mesurements:

​
            Last edited by Danger Dan; 01-21-2016, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Notice that I had to enter a negative value for the " wing sweep distance" since the forward sweep planform on the Ka7. I've entered 3 different values (5,10 and 15%) in the static margin field to get an approximative range of balance points. The figures I get are quite satisfactory since they all put the CG more or less on the passenger's seat ahead of the spar. I feel reassured since I had no experience on balancing a forward swept wing aircraft.... Here's a shot of the markings I've drawn on the wing root based on the numbers I got from the "calculator"
              The 15% static margin entered in the first spredsheet gives me "from wing root LE to CG" = 2.16 inches.
              10% = 2.94 inches
              5% = 3.71

I will likely start with the 10% static margin figure and place my CG at + or - 3 inches from leading edge and probably move it slowly aft after some flights.

Marks on my wing root.... Quite unusual to put CG markings in FRONT of the spar !

​
              Last edited by Danger Dan; 01-21-2016, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Dan,
                Reminds me of this famous video. lol

Watch and enjoy

Len Buffinton
                Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Oh yes !!!! You really saved this fellow's day... and a very nice model from an almost certain crash ! Scary that was
                  Great video and VERY instructive animation on CG placement at the beginning too. Really cool. Tks !

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	1391813456.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	6475

I need advices for 1/3 scale instruments ? I found a couple of adresses on the net but what would you guys recommend ? Any U.S. or Canadian distributor ? Is there different products ? Quality ? Thanks for your help.
                    Last edited by Danger Dan; 01-21-2016, 11:08 PM.

Comment

Those from Iflytailies are good products
                      Len Buffinton
                      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Ok thank you Len.

Comment

Took me all afternoon to to cut and fit the canopy parts !!! Here loosely put together. Most complicated canopy I've ever done, and still quite a lot to do.
                          But it should be nice at the end !

Comment

Hi guys. ! Got a pair of 1/3 scale sliding windows from iflytailies today. Now I need a little help to install them ! Built a lot of models in the past but never installed any of these. Thread ? Pictures ?
                            Thanks !

Comment

Working...
                            X