Ducted fan unit for a Baudis Antares

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ducted fan unit for a Baudis Antares

I bought a Baudis Antares and I am interested in installing a ducted fan or a pop up prop unit unit that retracts into the fuse after launch. Is the ducted fan preferable to a pop up prop that retracts back into the fuse after launch?

I don't know where to start and have no idea of how large of a fan unit I will need or the proper sized ESC or size of batteries needed. Which manufacturer is a recommended vendor for the Fan and ESC ?

Someone posted a thread I thought here on Scale Soaring about adding a fan unit to his Antares but I can't locate the Thread. Maybe it was on RC Groups..

Any advice would be most appreciated !

Thanks,

Steve Hoot Gibson
    Houston, TX
    Last edited by Hoot; 07-23-2021, 07:05 PM.

A Mig Flight JETEC E-90 or E-120 is the ticket. 10S on the 90, 12S on the 120.

Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

You’ll want a 120A Opto ESC on the 90 and a 150A on the 120. The 120 can go up to 14S.

Mig Flight also has a 100 size, but typically folks jump between the 90 and 120. 120 is the spect on the CARF DG-800 for some insanity.

https://www.turbines-rc.com/en/edf-f...mm-system.html

https://www.turbines-rc.com/en/edf-f...mm-system.html

Etienne at ICARE may have a 90 in stock.
      Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Battery size will be dictated by space in the fuselage. 4000-6000.

This is the 12S setup in my EMS Arcus running a 93mm Schubeler EDF. It’s packed!

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	45280

Comment

Steve P.
          Do you think the Antares would launch of off a grass filed using the JETEC E-90 ? The county mows the field regularly and the grass usually isn't very tall.
          Thanks for your advice !
          Steve 'Hoot' Gibson
          Houston TX

Comment

• Steve P
            Steve P commented
            Editing a comment
            Can’t say. Grass can add a bit of drag and it seems some sailplanes tend to nose over trying to get going in grass. My Arcus won’t ROG in grass but moves like a rocket.

• Steve P
            Steve P commented
            Editing a comment
            A short bungee like French1 uses to fly FES alone would be the ticket.

Hoot, here is the page at RCgroups...one guy did EDF and the other a prop later down the chain....I keep thinking about it my self, but then just bought a Diana 2 with a prop up front instead.

happy flying
          Matt

Comment

I think the 90mm will ROG(rass) given enough runway length. But when choosing your fan/motor combo, keep in mind that Jetec's ratings on the 90mm are very liberal. The 10/12s combo gets pretty toasty after 30sec of full throttle, especially on 12s. I would not run it longer than 30 on 12. You can get away with more full throttle time on 10s but do some bench testing before flying. I had to replace the main power wires from the battery to the esc with heavier gauge, at least as large as what's on the 160A Castle esc leads, as the insulation was getting hot enough to melt the plastic shield on the main gear retract in the short time I ran it for climb out.

Jetec now offers a 1000kv motor for lower max amperage draw on a 12s setup. I would have gone with that in hind sight so I could run at higher voltage for better efficiency, but they didn't list it back when I purchased my system.

Comment

edfmaniac,
              I'm trying to decide which Jetec fan to order. I'm getting the Antares fuse out to do some measurements. I'm leaning towards the Jetec 110E since the opening isn't as large as needed for the Jetec 120E

Comment

Edfmaniac.
                How do you know where to start the cut in the fuse? How many millimeters from the back of the Antares canopy did you make your first cut?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
                  Edfmaniac.
                  How do you know where to start the cut in the fuse? How many millimeters from the back of the Antares canopy did you make your first cut?
                  I just kinda ball parked the location by mocking up the fan unit in it's retracted position to give me a decent guess as to where to put the bulkhead, leaving an inch or so of clearance between the bulkhead and the main gear retract mounts. Then I put a line of tape on the fuse to simulate where the bulkhead would be so I could mock up the fan unit in the extended position to determine where the doors/hatch should be, noting how far rearward the fan unit swings during extension.

The front cut line for the doors is 230mm from the rear of the canopy/fuse joint on mine. The 110 retract unit may swing back further during extension though as it's arms are probably a little longer than the 90's.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve P View Post
                    A Mig Flight JETEC E-90 or E-120 is the ticket. 10S on the 90, 12S on the 120.

Fyi, that's my Antares at the ARCA field in east Austin. It's a great soaring location with consistent "house" thermals when the wind is from the SSE. We are on the NW shore of the lake nearby so the air loves to bubble up just at the southern boundary of our field. The only problem is that you can't land outside of the main field or you will be picking parts out of the local cedar trees. So make your approaches to the field with plenty of altitude and energy. Or install a sustainer of some kind.

Victor

Comment

I'm trying to get some information from Turbines RC in France regarding a ducted fan for a Baudis Antares.
                      I believe I've settled on the Jetec 110E ducted fan but I don't know which motor to select. They offer a HET Typhoon 840 KV and a HET Typhoon 780 KV.
                      Which motor would provide the best performance and run time without creating to much heat that the wires would melt.

Would a different brand motor offer better performance while launching the The Antares ?

Thanks in advance for any advice !

Steve (Hoot) Gibson

Comment

HET Typhoon 840kv motor / 12s / up to 8.5kg thrust / 140A
                        HET Typhoon 780kv motor / 14s / up to 9.3kg thrust / 140A

just $0.02

18.7 lbs of max thrust (8.5kg) seems quite sufficient since Eedfmaniac is climbing out well on a 90 at 10S = 6.0-6.5kg). You also have to consider how much battery can you get into the cockpit? 2 x 6S or 3 x 4S or an odd pack combination to get 14s?

Comment

Steve P,
                          Is the 93mm Schubeler EDF a better ducted fan than the Jetec ducted fan?
                          Steve Gibson

Comment

Vastly more expensive, quieter (different sound), and doesn't come with the servo. You'd be best served by the more ubiquitous JETEC that HModel and great builders are putting in their factory builds.

The Schubeler 120 is a beast, but it's also $2500 plus a servo

Comment

Working...
                            X