2-33A Covering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2-33A Covering

I've been working on an Aviation Concepts 1/3 scale Schweizer 2-33A and I am to the point where I need to make some decisions on covering. I plan to use Oratex on the fuselage and tail surfaces, but I am undecided on the wings. I am trying to decide if the overall appearance would be more scale like with ultracote on the wing instead of continuing on with Oratex. I will be painting some stripes on the Oratex, but do not plan to seal coat it. I'm looking for feedback as to what other builders have done for covering on their 1/4 and 1/3 scale 2-33A's and how well it has worked out to help me with my decision.

By the way, Gunny Bumburs has done an outstanding job in producing this kit. The quality, accuracy, instructions and attention to detail are the best and well worth the price.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Last edited by Jim Gibson; 04-13-2021, 06:42 PM.

Full-scale 2-33 has metal sheeting on wings and fin, while fuselage, stab, elevator, and rudder are covered with fabric.

I am working on a 1/3-scale 2-33 and have covered the the stab/elevator and rudder with Oratex (natural) and fin with UltraCote White. Fuselage will be covered with Oratex and wings with UltraCote.

My plan is to seal the Oratex with a brushed on coat of Miniwax Polycrylic and then spray on primer and color coat of automotive paint that is color matched to the White UltraCote. Will be using blue trim color and have Spray paint matched to the blue UltraCote I am using.

Automotive paint was sourced from Jeremy Hartmann at the Model Box.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

JimD,
      Thanks for the comments. I think I'll go a similar direction assuming I can get the color scheme I have in mind to work out with the Ultracote & Oratex combination. I really want to keep the painting to a minimum. Have you found it necessary to seal Oratex as protection for dirt and grime? Does white make this more of an issue?

By the way, I have really enjoyed your build log on the 1/3 scale 2-33A. The only issue I have now is that I have caught up to your build thread.....so now I'm on my own and my creative juices(which get squeezed dry pretty quick).

JimG

Comment

The Oratex I have reminds me of the "Super Shrink Coverite" material that was available back in the 1970-80's. Easy to apply, shrinks tight, but needs to be sealed and painted to finish. Take a look at the water based acrylic paints available now and you might change your mind about painting.

tamiya acrylic paint | Search Results (horizonhobby.com)

The matching automotive paint that the Model Box (Swiss1 aka Jeremy Hartmann) has comes in spray cans, applies really easily, has a nice finish that matches the look of UltraCote, and dries quickly. It does have a strong odor and needs to be used in a spray booth or outside.
        A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

Working...
        X