Reiher Rewire - LET Model DFS Reiher II

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reiher Rewire - LET Model DFS Reiher II

While I wait for a Torcman and a couple other orders for another project, my winter "building" season has been focused on going through every sailplane, checking all the airframes, functions, servos and such and upgrading any pieces/parts. Everything I fly is now also converted over to the PowerBox CORE transmitter.

So FWIW, here's one of the more extensive tweaks. My Reiher had been built back in the day with big dual NiMh packs in the nose as a $#!+ton of lead shot for balance. It's age also meant that servos were 6.0V max. It also has the droppable main wheel (dolly) set-up which consumes some space beneath the seat pan. As originally configured, it is a royal pain to remove the seat pan as the batteries and lead hindered movement..

Needing another project, I decided to remove all the old switches, multiple JR remote receivers, the huge battery packs and the lead in the nose that was limiting the seat pan movement. The wiring was easy, cutting the lead shot out was a toxic chore.

After the cleanup, you can see the nose area where the lead shot was removed. With the batteries and shot gone, I had to relocate 24.5 ounces.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	22222.jpg
Views:	328
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	43650

The tow release and wheel release servo trays were a bit loose, so those were repaired.Click image for larger version

Name:	1211111.jpg
Views:	368
Size:	122.7 KB
ID:	43649
    Last edited by Steve P; 02-02-2021, 02:04 PM.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

The stuff that came out...

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	198.6 KB
ID:	43653

Battery comparison -- two PowerBox 2500 LiPos...

Name:	
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	43652

Old faithful about to get some new plumbing...

Name:	
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	43654
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

• mlachow
      mlachow commented
      Editing a comment
      That's one thing I don't miss, NiMh batteries. The closest I get to those is using Eneloops in some small planes. New planes get 18650 or 21700 battery packs now. I do have a few older models with voltage limits I converted to LiFe's which have held up pretty well over the years.

• Steve P
      Steve P commented
      Editing a comment
      I agree, Mike. I still have a mix in my TD and other sailplanes. For the scale stuff and tow planes I've significantly reduced the number of packs I have fixed inside or use for planes by going with only two types - 5000s or 2500s that go into the snap mounts and then can simply move from plane to plane.

The space to place things is limited so I went with a split system. Best of all, the Y-harnesses and Matchbox are history. Each channel now lives as it should. What went in?

I used a PowerBox Source with two 26D receivers and a PowerExpander SRS. I could easily place the receivers to each side and with HD Velcro place the other items both for easy access and easy removal if a connection or other issue needed to be checked. ...

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	161.4 KB ID:	43656
    Last edited by Steve P; 02-02-2021, 02:24 PM.

Comment

The new batteries are significantly smaller and fit nicely in snap mounts to either side of the wheel release. The switch, display and all servo connections live neatly in the rear of the cockpit area. Not the most elegant install, but works perfectly.

With the batteries out of the way, I was able then to add 10.5 ounces of lead back to the nose now at the bottom area of the fuselage where the battery packs once lived allowing the seat pan to slide easily for removal.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	79.5 KB ID:	43659

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	82.3 KB ID:	43658
      Last edited by Steve P; 02-02-2021, 02:26 PM.

Comment

Axel junior is a happy man...

Name:	
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	43661

Comment

A group answer to PM questions I've received. Yes, Let Model still sells this Reiher. From time to time they also come up for sale here and on RCG. Overall it is an exceptionally well-build and gentle to fly sailplane. Joiner rod is either steel or carbon and there are no strength issues overall with the plane. It thermals well and can even benefit from a bit of trailing edge camber if one prefers. Landings are a non-issue, spoilers are top/bottom design.

Specs:
          Scale 1:3.5
          Span 5.4 meters
          Lenght 2.2 meters
          Airfoil HQ 3.0
          Area 165 dm2
          CG 166 mm from LE
          Elevator +15/-15 degrees
          Rudder L / R max
          Ailerons +25/-10 degrees

A few pics of the model and a drawing the original from the Martin Simons collection...

Name:	
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	43671

Name:	
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	43672

Name:	
Size:	96.5 KB
ID:	43673

Comment

A couple more shots from Black Dirt thanks to Cathy Stewart...

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	83.4 KB ID:	43676

Name:	
Size:	105.8 KB
ID:	43675
            Attached Files

Comment

UPDATE: The electronics upgrade has been fantastic while all the telemetry and such is certainly nice. The Reiher spent a long day of flying at the 2021 New England Aerotow.

Thanks to Jeff Duhaime for these photos...

Name:	
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	44816

Name:	
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	44815

Name:	
Size:	168.8 KB
ID:	44814

Name:	
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	44813

Name:	
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	44812

Name:	
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	44811

Comment

Working...
              X