• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SZD-30 Pirat

SZD-30 Pirat

Wingspan 3.75m

Length 1.75m

Weight 4-5kg (Mine with pilot and everything is 5.75kg)

Root chord 265mm

Manufacturer - Oldgliders.com

Web Site - https://oldgliders.com/en/offer/szd-30-pirat-kit/

Main Wings - Two Piece

Main Wing Materials - Balsa / Ply / Pine / CF or Steel Joiner

Airfoil SD

Fuselage Single piece, high wing, single wheel fiberglass

Tail Removable stab, Balsa, Ply, Pine

Control Surfaces Ailerons(2), Spoilers (2) Rudder, Elevator, Tow Release

Click image for larger version  Name:	Mikes Build (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	280.3 KB ID:	43046
    Picture of the model before first flights at Black Dirt.

The model is covered with Sig Koverall applied with nitrate dope. It was painted with KlassKote primer and color.

Click image for larger version  Name:	szd30_pirat_3v.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.1 KB ID:	43056
    Attached Files
    Last edited by mlachow; 12-09-2020, 12:47 AM.

Build Pictures

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Buikd (5).jpg
Views:	1099
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	43052 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Buikd (4).jpg
Views:	1111
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	43050 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Buikd (3).jpg
Views:	1114
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	43053 Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Buikd (1).jpg
Views:	1115
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	43051
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Mikes Buikd (6).jpg
Views:	923
Size:	135.0 KB
ID:	43049

Comment

The wing construction is odd when you compare the model to the real aircraft The real three piece wing was changed into a two piece design. The wing panels are built on a hinged building board for the tip dihedral.. The wing uses a round rod and you can use either a carbon or a steel rod depending on the weather conditions.

The wing mounts with some bolts and pins out the TE of the wing. You also have to attach the fairings at the middle after bolting on the wing.

It is a nice fiberglass fuselage and there is a good canopy frame with the kit. It is made with MGS epoxy. The only thing you have to add is the skid on the bottom.

Comment

Hi Michael

3.75 m wing span of 15m glider put the model 1/4 scale category
        Pirat had constant cord central panel at 1030 mm , It should make root cord 257.5 mm. It is a pretty small root cord. Accidently or not it was a marvel of low drag high speed aerodynamics, but required hefty spar build up. Central panel is a one big continuous box spar

Comment

• mlachow
          mlachow commented
          Editing a comment
          Typo, left over cut and paste.

The Pirat is a nice sailplane to fly. I am limited in space by what I can fit in a van. So four sailplanes, a mix of 1/4 and 1/3 scale stuff. I have been flying my 20 year old Robers Pilatus B-4 for years. It was always the first model out of the van. It is a really nice handling model. The question is, does the Pirat work as well. So far it has. Noreal bad habits. Obviously it doesn't have the performance of a bigger sailplane but it is just big enough to be something you can tow to an altitude for a decent flight time, even if there isn't any lift. The first flights were at Black Dirt in 2019

Comment

If anyone wants to make a small Pirat. I found one on Thingiverse.

Comment

Working...
          X