Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks VERY NICE

Comment

5 hours of masking and sticking on paint masks. Two hours with the airbrush. Another hour of pulling off masking tape and paint mask......

I have a colorful fuselage.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Jast Fuse Painted.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	45939

Comment

Wow! That is beautiful!

Comment

The paint really makes it pop! Looks Great. Amazing how long that takes.
          Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• mlachow
            mlachow commented
            Editing a comment
            Six paint masks. Stripe on fin, stripe on skid, side stripes that are also on rudder and top stripe that matches wing patters and red in front of canopy.. I also had to fix stab red stripping to properly match the final. More than the usual left side right side. A lot of work. Far from perfect but it is an old wood sailplane. Not some molded thing.

Here are all the parts assembled. I still have work on hinging, control horrns, radio installation , canopy, interior.

Name:	Assembled (1).jpg
Views:	294
Size:	264.2 KB
ID:	45949 Click image for larger version

Name:	Assembled (2).jpg
Views:	299
Size:	222.9 KB
ID:	45950

Comment

I did some gluing on the canopy. I checked the plastic and it was not affected by xylol or E6000. I thinned out the E6000 (which is usually thinner than Goop) so that I could apply a nice thin layer. The front window is the tricky one since the canopy material provided did not have the exact bow for the middle frame Between the screws on the bottom and some electrical tape I was able to get it shaped and attached all the way around. The thinned E6000 worked nicely since I was able to use a minimal amount and it levels itself pretty good when you smooth it onto the frame. That way there is minimal squeeze out when the canopy gets clamped to the frame to dry overnight.

After drying, I removed the screws and used a countersink to do a better job getting the screws flush with the surface of the canopy. I will apply some silver oracal over the edge to finish up the canopy. Maybe I'll add a sliding window sometime later.

On the fuselage the tow release was glued in and it was fun to get the servo screws installed up front. The screws I used have a hex key drive. I have some hex drive bits and some short ratcheting wrenches that can use the hex drive bits. Just enough space to get your hand in there and turn things in. I added two battery boxes one on each side for the 20700 two cell battery packs. There is still plenty of space above that where I can bolt in any additional ballast to finish balancing the model. Right now it looks like I'll need about 300-400gm ballast beyond what I glued into the nose block earlier.

Comment

More finishing details.

I put a spring on the rear canopy latch. It is just a simple spring to provide a little force to make sure the rear pin stays in place. Friction is probably enough but the spring adds a little insurance.

Name:	Latch Spring.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	46034

The wire holder on the wing is mounted to the root rib. For the fuselage, the wire slides out to attach things. Some 1/2" rocket tube is just big enough to slide the servo connectors and wires through. But it is not large enough for a MPX connector. So even if he wire gets pushed into the fuselage, it will be easy to pull out with short pliers. The tube also supports the wires over the rudder pull-pull cables.

Name:	Wire Guide.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	46032
              Attached Files

Comment

I need to get this thing to the field. Time to cut two fuselage supports for the rack in the van. I used some tracings of some bulkheads to get the shape. Add 3/8" for a layer of EPE foam. Some bolt holes for the rack and cut. EPE foam is attached using E6000, aka Goop.

Right now things are loaded up to head north to Chenango Airport Aerotow tomorrow. Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrier Rack.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	46101 Click image for larger version

Name:	Carrier Rack.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	46102

Comment

Mike maidened the plane and more today at Chenango Bridge…

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	170.4 KB
ID:	46109

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	46110
                  Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

The first flight was uneventful. It did require a little down trim in all flight modes. I wasn't expecting much with the weight of the model but it actually glides pretty well. It has a pretty low aspect ratio and the spoilers are a little less effective than I expected.

The second flight I had tweaked all the flight modes for elevator and adjusted the aileron to rudder mixes a little. Roll rate is pretty good and I could probably cut down elevator throw a little. The aileron to rudder mixes and differential some flight modes needed some more adjustment.

Flight three was a nice tow and time to try a few more aerobatics. This thing should be fun in Cumberland on a slope day. With the big fuselage and low aspect ratio it is no speed demon. But it definitely is different than your typical sailplane.

It wasn't a very good day to try out thermal soaring. I think it will be OK.

Comment

• stevekremer
                      stevekremer commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It looked very nice in the air!

• mlachow
                      mlachow commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the tow. I 'm only missing a photo from Jeff. He has managed to be there the days I had first flights on my Orlik, Pirat, Bocian, and Foka refresh.
                  Working...
                  X