Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Varios that Sound like the full size versions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Varios that Sound like the full size versions...

Once in a while I hear (online in a video) a variometer that is similar-sounding tones as full size systems; in other words, that soft rising / falling tone as opposed to the Spektrum systems I use now. Anyone care to point me to that / those Manufacturers...

Thanks.

Someone else thinks about this! For years I have searched without success for a good sounding vario. Tasman comes to mind for full-scale. Pleasant to listen to. I swear I overhear Spektrum varios at Cumberland that sound like a nice soft whistle...
    I even complain about full-scale varios. They have every bell and whistle when it comes to what the vario displays, but one option for sound!? I just purchased a new LX Nav S100 and It should have 15 different options for sound but it has basically 1 sound.

With that said, I have tried Graupner, FrSky, PitLab for models and they all sound the same - digital beeps.

Good luck and let us know what you find

Comment

• JoeN
      JoeN commented
      Editing a comment
      As far as I know, all you can do is lower the volume!

The standard Vario function on the Jeti DC/DS-16 TX has a similar audio output to full scale. It's switched on and off through a selectable switch and has a separate volume control from announcements, warnings, etc. I have a sensor installed on two of my sailplanes.

Comment

Thanks gentlemen; it occurred to me the sound I like is kinda flute-like sound. Soft - complimenting the art of ascending. Ring a bell (bad pun) with anyone?

Comment

It's been awhile but in the older sailplanes I flew it started out as a soft constant tone but as the rate changed it started to get louder and pulsed in a "beeping" sound, If I remember correctly. That was back in the 80's.

Comment

Is this the sound you're looking for?

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post

Yes - typical of my full size experiences as well. Flute-like and easy on the ears. Time to ask the Pros on the European circuit where they employ this equipment.

Thanks Bryan.
            Last edited by Parallax; 03-19-2020, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post

Thanks for posting...brings back some happy (and a few scary) moments from my own full scale soaring days. These sounds are what my own reflexes are tuned to! I did not get the 'flute' reference reference originally but I see the connection now. Happiness was the rapidly increasing tone just at cloud base.... : )

Barry

Comment

The sound is no problem but what about that yaw string. I most of us could do better with RC.

Comment

Working...
                X