Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Isolated battery for the retract or use the airborne packs for the retract ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does Etienne or anybody else on this side of the pond carry the Emcotec OCP units? I'd take at least two or three right away.

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
      Another question I can't seem to find the answer to is what does the built in "over-current" or "temperature" protection on modern Hitec, MKS, Spektrum, etc. servos actually do?
      Bryan, Hitec tries to keep their servo overload protection a secret or at least that's the way it seems because the only thing I could find on it was from a Hitec servo programmer manual. Here is what they say.

"OLP Rate (Overload Protection Rate) (For HS-7XXX Digital servo series and HS-5055, 5056, 5065, 5082 and 5085MG Digital servo only) This function allows you to set the amount of torque reduction to protect the motor from stress that would cause it to burn-up. What is Overload Protection Rate?If the servo is overloaded, and can't reach the destination position as it would be directed to do, the overload protection system is activated. In this case, the servo amp will reduce its output power by the value you set from the maximum power. Increasing the overload protection rate is the same as limiting the output power, or torque.That is, if you select a value of 10% by adjusting the knob, the servo amp will reduce the power by 10% and output only 90% of the maximum torque in overloaded situation.You can set the value between 10% and 50%. If you select "Off" in this mode, overload protection will not be activated, and the servo will always produce maximum torque. When the overload is released, the protection mode is terminated and the servo will work normally."

I like your idea of the inline fuse so much I'm installing one in my LG circuit.

See you in April at AP.

Comment

Originally posted by BryanB View Post
        Does Etienne or anybody else on this side of the pond carry the Emcotec OCP units? I'd take at least two or three right away.
        You might try Esprit. I know that they carry a bunch of Emcotec products. If they don't have it maybe they can order one for you. If Z wants you to order more than one let me know I'm good for one.

Comment

Just heard back from Z. He can order them.
          Last edited by SoarHead; 01-28-2020, 06:12 PM.

Comment

I sent an email to esprit model (ZB answered my email) about the Emcotec servo overload device ( He said he will order them). I ordered two.
            if you want one, I suggest you call esprit model before he puts the order in.
            Last edited by Hoot; 01-28-2020, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
              I sent an email to esprit model (ZB answered my email) about the Emcotec servo overload device ( He said he will order them). I ordered two.
              if you want one, I suggest you call esprit model before he puts the order in.
              Sounds good. I'll give him a call and ask him to get an extra 3-4 units in stock..
              Last edited by BryanB; 01-29-2020, 12:01 AM.

Comment

The phone number in post number 20 is NOT for Esprit Models (it's for something in Texas).

The number for Esprit is 321-729-4287.

I just called and ordered one, the woman said it would be $30 plus shipping.

Dan

Comment

Sorry about the wrong phone number for Esprit Model. Their number is 321-729-4287

Comment

Yep, they said they had 5 in stock so I grabbed 3 of them..

Comment

Bryan,
                      I hope I get the other two !

Comment

I haven't used that particular Emcotec product, but I've noticed it and wouldn't hesitate to try it. I think very highly of Emcotec engineering and have a number of their other products.

Back on topic, if you happen to run Sbus, here is another solution that avoids the entire issue of over-current, separate batteries, etc. It's called the "PWM Expander", available from https://shop.tje.dk/catalog/. I've been running this on a 1/3 Arcus for a couple of years and it's been working flawlessly: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...0&postcount=77

Ultimately, no matter what you do, you should have telemetry so you can monitor your unregulated pack voltage(s) and set an alarm if it falls too low. There are even current monitors available if you want to go crazy. I actually monitor not only pack voltage, but remaining pack capacity, both with alarms, so I'll know when it's time to land even if there is a stalled servo or other unexpected problem.
                        Last edited by Rjtw; 01-29-2020, 12:26 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X