Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Request for info re the Hangar 9 ASH 31 Electric prop version

Hi Guys
    I am interested in the industry users opinions on the Hangar 9 ( ASH 31 ) now it has been out there for over 18 months. I understand they have stopped manufacturing, but keen to understand users thoughts and experiences building and flying the model what are its weak points if any. I have model S/N A10 and am very happy with the quality etc
    Regards Paul C
    New Zealand

It flies beautifully and for the most part an excellent model in both fit and finish. Mine is straight glider to can't offer anything in regards power setup/operation.

I've really enjoyed mine but the weakest item in my opinion is the landing gear in that the metal side struts are cheap Chinese aluminum and will bend relatively easily if you land with much side load (crosswind) since the gear is fairly tall to accommodate self launching. If they bend ever so slightly they will drag on the wheel well side preventing full retraction and early failure of the motor. I've had to bend mine back a couple times but the ultimate solution would be to get some new high quality replacements made of either aluminum or some composite. If the motor for the gear craps out its relatively easy to do a servo mod.

What I would really like to see is for Horizon to do a new, relatively inexpensive ARF model like the ASW-20. I think the ASW20 was a huge trigger to get more people into large scale soaring due to it's price point. I don't know if the margin for that model made it worth Horizons effort but kudos to PG for making that happen!

Comment

• chishp
      chishp commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Bryan good comment I look forward to others
      regards
      Paul

keep the speed down and g force loads to that of a glider not an aerobatic carbon fox... i also have the asw20 and it indeed would be great to see them release it again. perfect size and price is fair

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
      ....Gunny makes a set of carbon gear legs for the retract that will not bend......
      Thanks for the heads up Tom. Getting a set from Gunny..

BB

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
        The bond between the skins and the spar assemble on the main panels is poor on some of the aircraft......if you shine a light down the wing via the root rib wire hole you will see gaps in the epoxy between the spar and the skin....mostly on the top but some have gaps on the bottom also......after KevinK’s blew up at Cumberland we did a post crash analysis of the wing and determined that the spar structure wasn’t tall enough to contact the top skin and the epoxy they put on the top of the spar during construction wasn’t enough to fill that gap......so if you drill 2 holes fore and aft of the joiner box you can get a Syringe equipped with a long clear tube filled with thickened epoxy in there and lay in a bead that joins the skin to the spar structure......or do nothing and drive it around the sky like an old blue hair lady going to church on Sunday.......French1 has a video of how he repaired his but a quick search did not turn it up.....your mileage may vary.
        Thanks Tom will do the same as you suggest

Comment

Originally posted by Tom
          Found the video.....
          https://youtu.be/FZUfqL7JdhE
          Unfortunately the video wont down load as it states its private??

Comment

• chishp
            chishp commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Tom Tried again on the site you list but it comes back private?? may be it is because i am in New Zealand?? I have subsequently inspected the top and bottom shear web glue lines in side the wing with a borescope and have found a couple of questionable areas. I am keen to run some epoxy down the top and bottom seams where the spare meets the skin given that I cannot access the video are there any specific tips on the video that may be you could share with me before I do mine?
            Look to your great support
            regards
            Paul C NZ
        Working...
        X