Built in retractable leash

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Built in retractable leash

I have used this type of set up twice now and it works great!
    It really speeds up the process of clearing the active runway, which can potentially be a dangerous place if you are struggling to attach your leash to your glider while there are guys coming in to land.

So far I have used it on two large woody type gliders, the first was my ill fated KA8 "Blondie", and more recently on my Bergfalke.

Safety being the number one reason for developing such an installation , but convenience and the fact that our gliders tend to need nose weight anyways, so might as well make it useful nose weight!

Pretty self explanatory really, just follow the photos.

I bought these at my local dollar store, but I think you can get them on Amazon as well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191228_180625.jpg
Views:	449
Size:	274.4 KB
ID:	39286 ​

The ones I got were for 44lbs/20kgs dogs.

Name:	20191017_101954.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	39287 ​

I cut off just about everything that wasn't useful for my installation, and then covered over the opening with hockey tape.

Name:	20191017_101940.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	39288 ​

I then located it in the forward fuselage just aft of the release servo. I originally wanted to install it fore/aft but couldn't in this case so a sideways installation it was!

Name:	20191017_102117.jpg
Views:	467
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	39289 ​

For the actual routing of the braided line I used a 12" drill bit and drilled from the inside of the airplane down on a 30 degree angle. My airplane has a nice thick skid so it worked out perfectly as an exit point for the leash. I used some of the hardware that came with the leash to make a small grab thingy, then finished it off with some heat shrink.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20191017_102211.jpg Views:	4 Size:	102.8 KB ID:	39284 ​

I just reach down and grab the little ring and start walking off the active, easy peasy!

Name:	20191228_102507.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	482.8 KB
ID:	39290 ​

The leashes that I buy have about 4 metres of line on them so I just cut them down to about 1.5 metres which seems about right.

Name:	20191228_102544.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	467.3 KB
ID:	39291 ​

I haven't tried it on a glass slipper yet, but I am planning on installing one in my DG505.

Give it a try, it works really well and saves a bunch of time on the runway.

I know Steve R is trying one out in his yellow Bergfalke.

Regards,
    Blake
    Last edited by blake; 12-29-2019, 01:22 PM.

I only see one picture Blake!

Jeremy

SCC AAA TT TN

Comment

Are the photos showing up now? There should be 7 of them?

Comment

Yes, all pictures are visible...

Comment

I see all the pictures too.
          Its a good idea since you need nose weight anyway.

Thanks for sharing

Len Buffinton
          Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

That's a fantastic idea! Listen up 1/3 scale 2-33'ers there is plenty of room in the nose to do this...

If you dont have room in the nose to do this, then screw in a little eye screw. that's what i did on one of my sailplanes.
            Gunny
            Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

https://forum.scalesoaring.com/forum...-by-jimd/page3

see post No. 45

But really like this idea and will see if I get around to doing this on my 1/3 scale 2-33. Thanks for sharing Blake.
              Gunny
              Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

Working...
              X