Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gene C
    replied
    While on the way to display the 1/3 scale Cherokee along with Dean Gradwell's full size at the SSA convention at the request of the Vintage Sailplane Association, there was time at Montague CA. to test fit a few items to the fuselage of the Ka-3. Dean had a set of Ka-1 wings partially built that fit perfectly. He even pulled a 40% Axel pilot out of one of his ships to check the fit. By the smile on the pilots face, it will do.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    The epoxy 'welding' will look pretty cool! Yes... those pieces of hardwood sure have some springback. I have Ash on hand for making skids and it gets soaked overnight with water. Then I run hot water out of the tap over the piece before putting on the form and let it sit there for a couple of days.

• Gene C
    replied
    The best laid plans go astray now and then. This just happens to be one of them. The spring back of the skid part was more than expected so the curve was increased. The top part was also added to the increased curve. The two parts will be glued together in the form and profited as a unit when dry. At least that’s the new plan at the moment.

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    replied
    Started filleting the fuselage joints using small batches of 30 min epoxy and milled glass fiber. Applied with a small paint brush this may take a while as each batch of epoxy is allowed to set before proceeding. The process will reinforce the joints and provide a weld appearance after the fuselage is painted.

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Jim,
    Nothing like a little motivation.

• JimD
    replied
    Gene,

Something this great needs to be shared, so we just added a link on the home page of the website to your build!

Check it out here: https://www.scalesoaring.com/

Leave a comment:

• lenb
    replied
    Wow Gene,
    I finally had a chance to catch up on this thread and I'm completely blown away at your progress. The fuse looks great in the last photos above.

I'm looking forward to staying current now.

Len

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    replied
    Still a lot of tedious filleting to do before starting the fun part of detailing.

Leave a comment:

• Gene C
    commented on 's reply
    ARUP, the skid is selected straight grain Poplar. I had thought of Ash but It is not the easiest of wood to come by in such small quantity. The bottom will have a metal shoe to take the wear.

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Is the skid Ash?

• Gene C
    replied
    Built a low tech steam chamber for working on the skids. A full length support was required after a while due to the 2in dia tube bending from the heat. Again a print was scaled, printed and glued to a 2x6 to form the wooden skid. After a week or two it should be dry enough to remove from the form.
    Started fitting the shoulder harness retainer brackets to the frames.
    Still working on the front end of fuselage #2.

Leave a comment:

• Tango Juliet
    replied
    Awesome! Truly beautiful construction!

Leave a comment:

• Asher Carmichael
    commented on 's reply
    Details, details.... I love ‘um. Looking good, Gene

• Gene C
    replied
    Finished installing all the bracing between the tail boom and wing saddle to fully join the two together aft of the cockpit. Between time epoxy was curing, time was spent working on making the bungee hook out of 14 ga stainless steel. Not the softest material to work with for sure.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    You might just as well buy a 'Joint Jigger', some 1/4" steel tubing and start welding! The construction is very nice! Thanks for showing your technique. I can sure identify with going to the local hardware store and eyeballing dowels and other pieces of wood. At 13' this won't be a small glider! I'm a push over for 'V' tails, too!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X