Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARUP
    replied
    The strut carry-through wire/rod mount was cut to length from bass wood. It was grooved on the table saw then the groove was finished using the off-cut 3/16" music wire. Just scrape the groove with the music wire edge until it nestles perfectly! Balsa needed to be relieved on the fuselage to clear the strut attach wire/rod. Epoxy does the job to attach the assembly to the fuselage.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2551.JPG
Views:	299
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	21280Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2552.JPG
Views:	301
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	21281

Name:	IMG_2553.JPG
Views:	326
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	21282

Gotta get to work!

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    You didn't get hungry for schnitzel on the previous page?

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Yes, TJ. That's why I'd like Santa Claus to bring more cut off discs to me! I wore that last one I have on hand down to the nub all right!

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Mr. China sure built some pretty sailplanes! Dave Smith has shown me some YouTube vids, too!

• DennisB
    replied
    The Professor should be a fine flying model, Fred China built one at the same scale and I flew it when I was up his way, I was tempted to take it home with me.

Leave a comment:

• Tango Juliet
    commented on 's reply
    What the heck kind a bit is that in yer Dremel? Whatever it is, it looks like it's been worn to a nub!

• ARUP
    replied
    Mmmmm..... nachos!
    Deer Sanny Klaws, al I wan for Crismiss iz Dwimill kut tof weelz. I bin uh good boy an it wuz dat bad kid Len hoo pulld on Luisas har not me!

The wing strut carry through mount was fabricated from 3/16" music wire. Heat the ends cherry red, hammer flat, drill for 4-40 bolts to pass, dress and shape with Dremel, sand, clean mask and paint... whew! When the paint dries it can get mounted tonight.

Name:	IMG_2545.JPG
Views:	321
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	21238Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2546.JPG
Views:	317
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	21239

Name:	IMG_2547.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	21240Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2548.JPG
Views:	310
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	21241

Name:	IMG_2549.JPG
Views:	311
Size:	118.2 KB
ID:	21242Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2550.JPG
Views:	341
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	21243

Have a great day!

Leave a comment:

• Tango Juliet
    commented on 's reply
    Now I'm hungry for Nachos!

• ARUP
    replied
    TJ, you'll like those pilots as they are very nice and ... poseable! I drove my '59VW around. Gotta get the engine 'broken-in'. My buddy, Bill, and I put a new engine, tranny, disc brakes-lines-dual circuit master cylinder in it not too long ago. On to the Professor! Paper patterns were made in order to cut the fore upper and lower 'keel' parts. The parts were cut from 1/16" marine ply. The rear portion of the keels were made from 3/8" balsa. Two 12 degree bevels was put on the edge. It is a simple thing to do. Measure the angle of the fuselage formers (12 degrees from horizontal), set the table saw blade, push the wood through, flip over end for end then push the wood through again to get a nice 'V' bevel that has twelve degrees each side! There is a pic showing my 'fancy' half sand paper sanding stick. I used to to true the bevels. Two more skid mounting blocks were installed. Only the rear-most left to go!

Name:	IMG_2532.JPG
Views:	383
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	21200Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2535.JPG
Views:	391
Size:	158.7 KB
ID:	21201

Name:	IMG_2537.JPG
Views:	373
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	21202Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2539.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	147.1 KB
ID:	21203

Name:	IMG_2542.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	21205Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2543.JPG
Views:	331
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	21206

Name:	IMG_2544.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	21207Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2541.JPG
Views:	330
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	21204

Buenas noches!

Leave a comment:

• Tango Juliet
    commented on 's reply
    Looking good! I've ordered two pilots from Tailored. One in 1/3.5 scale to be my Flight Lieutenant and one in 1/4 scale to be my Cadet.

• ARUP
    replied
    Work is done every day but there isn't a lot to show for it! The pylon as shown above narrows too much on the rear vertical so it had to be built up to widen it. The 3-views just won't 'flesh out'. Compromises and interpretations must be made. The pylon fairing was constructed pretty much 'by eye' since it was difficult to determine how it was made from photo evidence. The top wing platform 'teardrop' extension was added then the angled 'spine' from the tip of the teardrop to the fuselage was added. Verticals were added so the 1/64" ply sheet will have 'purchase'. Hash marks were penciled onto the rear portion of this pylon fairing showing how the angles/ bevels were sanded. I used a special 1/4" wide sanding stick that has sand paper on one end only... the other end of the stick maintains contact with other side of structure. Rubbing the stick to and fro gives the desired bevel to which the ply sheeting will contact. Fiddly stuff it was but it's done!

I made the fore skid mount block from Bass. It is a custom sanded fit and will be drilled to receive a bolt to capture the skid. I have three more to make. I want to finish those then make the upper and lower keels. The last pic is my 'Tailored Pilots' pilot! He is looking pretty cool!

Name:	IMG_2529.JPG
Views:	406
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	21148Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2530.JPG
Views:	388
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	21149

Name:	IMG_2531.JPG
Views:	379
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	21150Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2528.JPG
Views:	404
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	21151

Gute Nacht!

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    Forward fuselage doublers were cut from 1/16" ply. More 1/16" ply put at the pylon. The pylon has a 'step' because the incidence was not proper when the fore sheeting was put in place. It'll be easily rectified with some filler pieces, later.

Name:	IMG_2517.JPG
Views:	419
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	21016Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2518.JPG
Views:	408
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	21017

The rear third section of the pylon will be addressed, next.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    TJ, the push rods are 1/4 wood dowel. 'Z' bends are used where the push rod connects to 'servo throw reducer' and an adjustable clevis is at the servo end. There is a custom fitted connector at the elevator end as seen on the previous page.

• Tango Juliet
    commented on 's reply
    And how are you making your pushrods? Are they wood dowel with threaded rod ends?

• ARUP
    replied
    Some attention was given to the wing mount pylon. A maple block was drilled to receive the wing retention pin and its brass guide tube and this was epoxied in place. Spruce diagonals were epoxied in place so that they are attached to the maple block along with fuselage former. This combination should be pretty stout in tension (flying loads) and compression longitudinally (landing loads). So far this arrangement has worked well for the Eaglet! I started putting floors in place. The diagonals were removed wherever a floor was placed. Save weight anywhere, right?

A schematic was drawn for the elevator input travel. The elevator pin moves a total of 11mm which isn't much. The schematic shows a triangle with the apex being the pivot for the 'servo throw reducer'. The servo arm, as configured, has 32mm total travel. The 'servo throw reducer' has to be ~100mm long to reach down to where the servo is located relative the the elevator push rod is located. So, I drew a 90mm eye-to-eye triangle with a base of 32mm then found where an 11mm width was located and constructed the 'reducer' from phenolic accordingly. The 'reducer' is pierced by an aluminum tube with a wood dowel inside it. A lite ply diagonal supports it. Larger aluminum tube segments act as bushings which are captured by gussets. All connections with push rods are interference fits. As said previously, slop in the system has to be minimal. If the servo was connected directly to the elevator push rod the servo wouldn't have much travel and the least bit of drive train play would be a cause for trimming issues and possible flutter (I guess)! If you spend time on making one control surface 'right' the elevator is the one!!!

Name:	IMG_2509.JPG
Views:	401
Size:	145.0 KB
ID:	20984Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2511.JPG
Views:	403
Size:	117.1 KB
ID:	20985

Name:	IMG_2516.JPG
Views:	423