Chris Williams - Minimoa - 13 years in the making

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chris Williams - Minimoa - 13 years in the making

About 2013 I started a build thread on the Chris Williams Minimoa design from 1987. Richard Mills, a good friend of mine started the project in 2003 and offered it to me since he didn't think he could complete it. I am very pleased to report that 13 years after the project was started (and 3 years after i took over) the Minimoa has finally taken flight. I flew it at the Arnprior Aero-Tow on Saturday, September 10, 2016. Coincidentally, it is also Richard's birthday. I thought you might appreciate some pictures since quite a few of you followed my original post and i had been quiet for so long.

Congratulations! Gull wings rule!
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Woo whoo

Congrats!
      I have a few you can finish too...........

Len Buffinton
      Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Very cool! Thanks for posting! Does it fly like you imagined it would? Any quirks?

Comment

I flew it 6 times on Saturday. Each time I reduced the amount of lose lead in the nose. Once i got rid of most of the lose lead it started to fly like a glider and i managed to float around in some light lift. When doing a thermal turns I had to apply opposite aileron a lot or it would dive into the turn. Kind of what i expected actually.

I still need to cover the aileron gaps which might change the flight characteristics a bit. The Minimoa has spoilers on the top and bottom of the wing and are very effective. I could only put a tiniest amount out or the plane would drop out of the sky.

Aurele
          Last edited by AureleAlain; 09-13-2016, 01:25 AM.

Comment

Congrats on getting it done and the maiden flight, the Minimoa was what first brought me to scale soaring, I have always wanted to build a 1/3 scale or larger but it is a very daunting undertaking. It is still on my bucket list. Beautiful ship!

Comment

Hey, super Aurele!!! Will we see both of you (the glider and the pilot) in Vermont next weekend? J'y serai !

Marc

Comment

Originally posted by Malain View Post
                Hey, super Aurele!!! Will we see both of you (the glider and the pilot) in Vermont next weekend? J'y serai !

Marc
                Hi Marc,

Unfortunately, I have used up my allotment of vacation days so I am going to miss out. Maybe I'll plan better for next year.

Aurele

Comment

Here are some photos from the Saturday at Arnprior.
                  Lots of activity, some really good flights and a nice lunch with a nice group of fellow aerotow folks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1216.JPG
Views:	392
Size:	363.9 KB
ID:	12944 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1246.JPG
Views:	347
Size:	248.3 KB
ID:	12945 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1252.JPG
Views:	400
Size:	223.4 KB
ID:	12946 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_1256.JPG
Views:	338
Size:	441.6 KB
ID:	12947

Comment

Hi Blake,

Really glad that you could make it to Ottawa for our event.

Aurele

Comment

Aurele,

Thanks, it's fun going to Arnprior.
                      I didn't realize it was such a momentous occasion for your Minimoa. Well done!
                      That field always has great lift, no matter what the weather is doing...!
                      How was the Sunday?

Blake

Comment

Blake,

Sunday was windy and gusty so i cancelled the event for the day. It was gusting to about 50kph or more.

Aurele

Comment

Working...
                        X