Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2020 USA GPS Nationals are cancelled. New date is June 2021.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020 USA GPS Nationals are cancelled. New date is June 2021.

From Dean...

Waited as long as possible, perhaps too long to make this post.

2020 USA GPS Nationals are cancelled. New date is June 2021. Special thanks to the pilots, tow pilots, and volunteers who were going to make this happen. Thanks also to Ueli Nyffenegger and his team at Tortosa showing us how it should be done. There may be a Challenge Cup late summer or fall.

Regards Dean Gradwell.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Well, I sort of expected it, but still damn sad...
    Tom

Comment

Same here but definitely the right decision.

For those that were on the fence or even remotely considering making the trip for this event, I can assure you that it is definitely worth the effort and please consider attending next year. Dean puts on a great event that is always beginner-friendly. The venue is simply amazing with breathtaking views of Mt Shasta with a fantastic evening get together spot that any sailplane nerd would enjoy.

Also, if you're interested in GPS triangle racing, there are some of the most experienced and helpful guys you could ever meet that attend this event. Several of them have flown in Europe in world championships and other events. A really great group of guys with world-class tow pilots.

Mike
      Last edited by yyz; 04-14-2020, 05:09 PM.

Comment

Where will the event be held in 2021 ?

Comment

Originally posted by Hoot View Post
          Where will the event be held in 2021 ?
          Same place it's always been, Montague, CA. Picture is the view out the hangar where we are when we're not at the flying field that is 2 miles away.

Click image for larger version

Name:	First day home.JPG
Views:	312
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	40757
          Rick Shelby
          Team Horizon

Comment

What a bummer, now to cancel the flights! Ugh

Good decision though.

Len Buffinton
            Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

And what kind of sailplane would Romeo Tango be, Rick? We're gonna need pictures of it assembled too.

Since we moved to Texas, several people have asked me what I miss. That picture of Shasta is what I would send them.

Comment

I hope to have pictures in the next day or two. It's a Glasflugel 303 Mosquito that I bought last month. It previously lived in Florida and Georgia and was delivered to me not far from you in Junction, TX.

Shasta valley which is where Montague is located is truly a magical place, at least for me. And it's a great place to fly sailplanes, both models and full size. Just like Cumberland, once you fly here you want to come back at every opportunity. We really hope to see everyone in June of 2021.
                Rick Shelby
                Team Horizon

Comment

There was a fun Fly held in place of the 2020 GPS Nationals where a few tuned, tested and flew the GPS course. A great time was had by all including the evening BBQ's.

Event video https://youtu.be/q9KQ5zz8QfI
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                  X