Snipe USB Cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snipe USB Cable

The Snipe has an odd cable which has a micro-usb male connector on both ends. A micro-usb connector has 5 pins. I picked up a few MicroUSB breakout boards to plug both ends of the cable in and check how things were connected with an ohm meter. There is the usual ground, +5V, Data+ and Data-. The Snipe cable also makes use of the 5th pin which is sense. The extra pin is connected to ground on both ends of the cable. It is an odd cable and I don't think anyone would sell one. The USB OTG cable is the closest, but it probably only has the sense pin connected to ground on one end of the cable. Not both ends of the cable.

If you want to make your own cable https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014GMP4E4

And these are good to help test your cable. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0183KF7TM

Using the parts referenced above I have now fixed the cable that came with my Snipe. It had gotten so loose that it would no longer stay connected to the Snipe. I also bought an 8" micro USB OTG cable and removed the insulation from the end opposite the "Host". As Mike surmised the sense pin was not connected to ground on that end. It was relatively simple to add a solder bridge to ground and now it works just like the cable from RC Electronics. If anyone has a cable that is getting too loose you can contact me and I can supply a custom length cable that will work. Or you can do it yourself but it is quite fiddly with the parts being so small.

I have not been able to find a ready made cable other than the RC Electronics part that is micro USB "Host" on both ends. Many of the RC Electronics cables are fine but some have weak pins inside the connector which causes the looseness.
    Rick Shelby
    Team Horizon

Comment

Did anyone figure out which connection to bridge for OTG for USB-C cables?

Found some DIY USB C OTG connectors. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07TCFTNPW...roduct_details
      They have a resistor built into them that configures them for OTG. Snipe end then just needs microUSB cable with ID pin connected to ground.
      Last edited by mlachow; 11-19-2021, 02:31 AM.

Comment

Here's a photo of cutting into a USB OTG from Amazon to get it to work with your SNIPE. As Rick mentioned, you will need to solder the metal tab between the Vc (red wire) and the ground (black wire connection on the base of the micro connector) to the ground wire connection point.

Here's the OTG cable I'm using:

CableCreation Short Micro USB to USB C Cable 0.65 FT USB

Click image for larger version  Name:	usb.jpg Views:	0 Size:	51.8 KB ID:	49094
        You can find these on amazon. They have an outer aluminum casing around the connector to be super durable.

You will find the green and white wires on the top side of the connector if you go looking. Ignore this side of the connector, you want to be on the bottom for this modification.

Click image for larger version  Name:	SNIPE USB OTG WIRIING DIAGRAM PT 1.png Views:	0 Size:	762.0 KB ID:	49095

Instead, open up the bottom side of the connector and find the single Red (voltage) wire and two ground wires.

Click image for larger version  Name:	USB OTG guide.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.4 KB ID:	49097

Carefully desolder the two black gound wires to expose the soldering tab in the center of the base of the connector (the photo pictures the location of the tab but you cannot see the actual tab in the photo. The tab is centered in the connector and buried in silicon)

One you desolder the two ground wires and move them out of the way as well as remove some silicon you will locate the tab. Now solder a small piece of wire to it and solder the opposite end of that wire to the ground. Then solder the ground wires back in place.
        Make sure the Red Vc wire is not touching the ground and is insulated. Test to make sure the wire works with your Snipe before closing everything back up.

You can use the outer aluminum case to clamp back down on the connector and wires which greatly improved durability. Tape or heat tubing works great to get the connector back to safe and usable...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7412.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	49099

This is a tricky little job and I would order a few cables to have extra's as well as one to mess up on your first attempt.

Hope this helps someone in a bind for a cable....

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by pete914; 02-12-2023, 09:42 PM.

Comment

I modify these cables and usually have some in stock. I have cables that connect to devices with usb-c and micro usb. They cost $20. As you can see from Pete's description it is quite fiddly to modify them. If you decide to modify them yourself, make sure you get a cable capable of carrying data. Some cables will only charge. Amazon is not always accurate in their descriptions.
          Rick Shelby
          Team Horizon

Comment

Working...
          X