Beginner-intermediate scale sailplanes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beginner-intermediate scale sailplanes

I am somewhat new to aerotowing, I have a Parkzone ka-8 that I love to fly, but the release on it has been acting up, and Len has told me that I should get into 4 meter sailplanes. I have been looking for some 4 meter ships and I think I have narrowed it down to three...
    The Hangar 9 ASW-20
    -or-
    The TM Discus 2c Deluxe Scale Sailplane
    -or-
    Peter Goldsmith offered me an ASK-14 4 meter sailplane

I have flown Kevin's 20 and I love it, but I can'f find any for sale in a reasonable driving distance
    I have never seen the TM discus, so I don't know what to expect.
    What would you guys recommend?

Jack,

great move, bigger flies better

I would say that I would suggest ASW20 in first as it is a versatile plane and plenty strong, second choice would be the ASK18 as it is very gentle and easy to fly.

the ventus is a different beast, narrow chord and wings quite close to the ground is not I think a good fit to a first 4 meter, at least it is what I think.

there is other options too, check regulary on the website there is always people selling their used sailplane.

Stéphane
    Stéphane
    Horizon Hobby Team Member

Comment

Originally posted by Jack V. View Post
      I am somewhat new to aerotowing, I have a Parkzone ka-8 that I love to fly, but the release on it has been acting up, and Len has told me that I should get into 4 meter sailplanes. I have been looking for some 4 meter ships and I think I have narrowed it down to three...
      The Hangar 9 ASW-20
      -or-
      The TM Discus 2c Deluxe Scale Sailplane
      -or-
      Peter Goldsmith offered me an ASK-14 4 meter sailplane

I have flown Kevin's 20 and I love it, but I can'f find any for sale in a reasonable driving distance
      I have never seen the TM discus, so I don't know what to expect.
      What would you guys recommend?
      Where are you located? If you're coming to Texas for the Apache Pass Aerotow end of April I'll make you a deal on my ASW20.

Comment

While bigger does fly better there are lots of smaller, more easily transported and stored options out there. Are you looking for BNF, PNP or to assemble yourself? For the two formers you just need to keep asking around and jump quickly when a good deal appears. Also, it is not often mentioned, but $ is a key factor to many in "going big". Don't be fooled by a smokin' deal on a poorly constructed or designed airplane.

That being said Bryan does some good work and the H9 ASW-20 has a good reputation on the aerotow circuit. I would probably have one of those, but my transportation/storage requirements cannot handle the component sizes. Not about to get into that briar patch.

About two years ago I was recommended the 3.5 meter Ka-8b by Phoenix Model. It is a very inexpensive 1/4 semi-scale ARF designed to be both electric powered and towed. The component sizes are easily transported in a medium size vehicle. Yes, it is not perfect like some of the $ 2 K+ ships, but at 1000' they all look the same.

I purchased one and set mine up to be towed only. The more I fly it, the more I am impressed by it's performance. It was not an aerobatic design and I do not fly it as such either. With minor inexpensive modifications one can assemble it to be a very nice thermal ship to get into "the bigger" 1/4 scale class for around $ 600 with the radio gear. Hope you find a good match.

OOH, I'll be at Apache Pass as well with my Kate and a new KV Ventus 4.8 meter 2CX.
        Mark

Comment

Working...
        X