Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting Reichard DG 300 to a DG 200/17

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Converting Reichard DG 300 to a DG 200/17


    Hey all,
    Stephane has done the lion's share of the work building custom wings for my EDF powered DG 200 build. I'm converting a Reichard models' 1/4 scale DG 300 to the old-school 17 meter DG 200/17.
    I have never built a wing and I need some assistance/input.


    To-do list:

    1. bond and shape leading edge strip. Advice please on techniques that are best for a beginner. How much should I trim back? How do you keep a perfectly flat surface as you are cutting back? What should I use to bond it? Best way to make sure I maintain this critical part of the airfoil when shaping it? Is it true you can purchase preshaped leading edges?
    2. Wing joiner dihedral. What's the simplest way to get the desired dihedral? I believe this one is 3 degrees

    Stephane has given me a lot of info and instructions but I'm starting this thread and want everyone's input....hopefully it can keep me motivated to get it done!





    3 new photos · Album by Pete Appleby

  • #2
    Ok Spruce leading edge glued in using a straightedge. Not perfect but this is my first wing and it's turning out better than I thought it would.

    I cut in the exact width of the spruce stock LE using a razor saw marked with blue tape. This allowed me to plane quickly.

    All suggestions welcome for sanding and shaping

    Comment


    • #3
      Pre-shaping done with wood plane. Protected balsa sheeting with tape. Marked leading edge with black pen to ensure I don't start sanding away chord-length.

      Comment


      • #4
        Nice work! That's what I do, too, in using the masking tape as a sacrificial ablative!

        Comment


        • #5
          Thanks! However, I'm struggling with the leading edge. I'm not sure how to sand it and actually maintain the airfoil. Seems like I'm destined to screw this up. Any suggestions?

          Comment


          • #6
            Best way is to cut templates in card stock paper and check how you match the airfoil every 10in and use a long sanding block
            Stéphane
            Horizon Hobby Team Member

            Comment


            • #7
              Stephane,
              Do you remember what airfoil we decided upon? I would like to try your technique although I've already planed it down and it should be ready for sanding and filling next.


              I'm getting better with the plane and it's starting to look like a wing. I watched a video where the guy freehands it off a single template at the wing root.
              Last edited by pete914; 05-04-2018, 01:57 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                HQ 3/13 same as the fairing of the fuse
                Stéphane
                Horizon Hobby Team Member

                Comment


                • #9
                  Some progress this weekend. Preparing to mount the wings to the fuselage. I used French1's technique to built spar tubes...it worked great! I know...the workshop is a mess!

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Great to see it coming alive Pete!
                    Keep the good work coming!
                    Stéphane
                    Horizon Hobby Team Member

                    Comment


                    • #11

                      Work continued this past weekend with the wings now mounted to the spar with a "retrofitted" spar box. I went with 3-degrees of dihedral and 1.5-degree incidence. Although not perfect I think the spar connection should be airworthy. I used fiberglass, microballoons, and epoxy resin to create a "box" around the spar tube which in turn bonded it to the wooded spar in the wing and the upper and lower wingskins. Stephane and I had to figure out how to build the wing and internal spare without the fuselage to reference. We live almost 1,000 miles apart from one-another. Despite this, I think it turned out pretty well!


                      The wings are seen in the photos at least holding up to 1-G force at the moment! HAHA...great wing flex and she should have a beautiful arc in the sky.
                      Next on the to-do list is cutting ailerons, sanding and installing 6 servos + airbrakes and then covering

                      The leading edge shape is OK but also far from perfect. Hopefully, she'll still fly. I'm learning a lot with this build.


                      Comment


                      • ARUP
                        ARUP commented
                        Editing a comment
                        That is a really nice job!
                    Working...
                    X