Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARUP
    replied
    Thank goodness for a nice 'stash' of Ambroid! It is great for edge gluing balsa because, after sanding, the joint 'disappears'! Sheeting was made up from 1/16" balsa for the outer panels. The piece near the tip was put onto the wing first. There is a bit of scrap balsa laminated onto one of the ribs so the sheeting has a place to land. Once the glue dries the other part of the sheeting will get put onto it.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2832.JPG
Views:	334
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	24301Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2833.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	24302

Name:	IMG_2835.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	24303Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2834.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	24304

Buenas noches!

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    The first outer panel was used as a guide to make the other. The root ribs were all made together so are perfect with respect to each other. Misalignment errors do creep into the build so to make sure that doesn't happen with respect to the second outer panel dimensions were taken off the first and transferred to the second. The spar to LE is 11mm at the tip so this was used for the second panel. A straight edge from this tip point to the spar slot at the root was then fixed to the panel then the panel was aligned to the inner one making sure the spars will be aligned for each. The first pic shows packing being fabricated. This was done after dry fitting the spar and using the 'hole cutter' for the wing tube. The groove was sanded into the edge then the cut was made to fit the depth from the tube to the spar. Just as with the first outer panel the packing was epoxied along with the spar. The straight edge was used to make sure the spar stayed flat. The last pics just show the epoxy curing.

Name:	IMG_2827.JPG
Views:	337
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	24266Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2828.JPG
Views:	329
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	24267

Name:	IMG_2829.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	24268Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2830.JPG
Views:	339
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	24269

Name:	IMG_2831.JPG
Views:	332
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	24270

Next to put onto the panels is the bottom portion of the 'D' tube sheeting. After this the panels will be placed onto a jig for proper washout before fitting the top spar and closing the 'D' tube with sheeting.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    First pics shows the beginning of ribs to LE and TE assembly. It's pretty fragile and 'floppy' at this stage! The second pic shows the center and outer panels being aligned in order to cut spar slots. The third pic shows straight edge being used to cut one side of spar slots. The scrap spar will be used to guide the saw for the other side and for proper depth of the slot. Once the spar was dry fitted it was used to guide the 'hole cutter' for the wing rod receiver tube. The fourth pic shows packing fitted to the wing tube then the packing and spar were epoxied in place. The straight edge was used to make sure the spar stayed flat. The fifth pic shows outer panel connected to center panel.with joiner tube. Time to build the other panel.

Name:	IMG_2822.JPG
Views:	356
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	24259Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2823.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	24260

Name:	IMG_2824.JPG
Views:	346
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	24261Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2825.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	24262

Name:	IMG_2826.JPG
Views:	375
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	24263

More...

Leave a comment:

• Tango Juliet
    commented on 's reply
    Yeah, I knew that.

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Awww, TJ.... I'm just 'ribbing' Jeremy! Pun intended.

• Tango Juliet
    commented on 's reply
    I wouldn't eat it for $1000! Raw ground meat is asking for trouble! Heck, I don't even eat steak that's been cooked less than Medium, and prefer Medium-Well!

• Swiss1
    commented on 's reply
    Bring plenty of cleaning equipment for when I............................................!!

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Jeremy... I'll give you $100.00 to eat one!

• Tom
    replied
    Originally posted by Swiss1 View Post
    Tom I believe you want Steak Tartare................and it's all yours!
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steak_tartare
    Nope.....just a medium rare burger thank you.....

Leave a comment:

• Swiss1
    replied
    Tom I believe you want Steak Tartare................and it's all yours!

Leave a comment:

• Tom
    replied
    Originally posted by ARUP View Post
    Tom P is gonna make the German burgers! I know some folks like their burgers crunchy but not me! lol
    Medium rare baby! Jeremy can have his shoe leather burgers if he wants....mine has to “Moo” when I bite into it!

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    replied
    The outer panel was taken off the board so that the bottom edges of the ribs could be sanded fair. The ribs for the other panel were put next to their counterparts so that these could be sanded to match. Other than the nose portions being a little 'fat' the ribs match up nice! That's a good testament to the drafting exercise early on! Next, the outer panel and inner panel were laid together inverted so that the bottom spar notches could be cut into the outer panel using the inner as a guide or reference. A straight edge was used to guide the saw and a scrap piece of spar stock was used to guarantee the fitment as the notches were sanded to the proper depth. Remember... the spar gets thinner toward the tip by design. The wing rod tube was let into the ribs. A jig was made to guide the 'hole cutter'. The 'hole cutter' is just brass tube with serrated edges on one end. The serrations were made with a Dremel cut-off wheel. The jig just keeps the cutter at the proper depth. The spar temporarily placed was used as a guide for the 'hole cutter'. When satisfied this was pulled off the board so I could start on the other outer panel. More work will get done to these later.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2810.JPG Views:	1 Size:	56.2 KB ID:	24011Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2811.JPG Views:	1 Size:	51.7 KB ID:	24012

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2812.JPG Views:	1 Size:	36.7 KB ID:	24013Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2813.JPG Views:	1 Size:	42.4 KB ID:	24014

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2814.JPG Views:	1 Size:	31.3 KB ID:	24015Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2815.JPG Views:	1 Size:	44.5 KB ID:	24016

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2816.JPG Views:	1 Size:	45.1 KB ID:	24017

The wing tube and joiner rod are in place in the last picture. More to come.
    Last edited by ARUP; 03-05-2018, 01:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    Tom P is gonna make the German burgers! I know some folks like their burgers crunchy but not me! lol

• Swiss1
    replied
    All my Burgers are Well Done!!!.................looking after your Health

Leave a comment:

• ARUP
    commented on 's reply
    I wish but no way!!! I'd like my burger 'medium' please. That's one big reason I'm coming to Cumberland!
Working...
X