40% Schweizer 1-26?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 40% Schweizer 1-26?

I've heard from two sources that Peter Goldsmith is designing and kitting a 40% Schweizer 1-26. Anyone have any details? Anyone have an email for Peter so I can ask him?

It is not being done yet, however it may happen over the winter. It doesn't take him long to get the design and build done once he gets to it. Look for an announcement here when it becomes a reality and you will be able to order one through me. Peter has asked me to be the broker for the scale designs.

Len
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Unless something has changed, he was originally talking about a 50% 1-26.

Comment

Thanks for the info, guys. I was going to design a 1/3 scale 1-26, but thought I'd see what is already available first. I might think about a 40%, but 50% is too big for me and my vehicle! Even 40% might be tough for me to handle - the fuselage would be 104" long and I'm pretty sure that won't fit into my car. 50% would be 130" long!

Comment

HI Al.... I could go either way 33% or 40% too, but 50% is a little on the big side.
          Gunny
          Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Xroadie
            Xroadie commented
            Editing a comment
            Says the man with the huge Sprinter Van

• gunny11
            gunny11 commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh Man! Darn....

Hey Gunny! Looks like I'm just gonna have to design my own if I want 33%. Too bad you didn't already kit one!

Comment

1/2 is the new 1/3.......just saying!
            TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

I can promise it will be at least 40%. Most are pushing for 50%,
              Although 6m seems to be the perfect size sailplane, with the 1-26 the wing cord is pretty wide.

Len Buffinton
              Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

1-26... neat sailplane with lots of options as far as models and color schemes go! 40%, though not overly huge in span, will be super 'bulky'. Personally I'm running out of room so will have to stick with sailplanes that 'break down' into smaller packages for storing. Honest... just ask Jeremy and Jim... they've been to my house!

Comment

• Steve P
                  Steve P commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I agree. The root on a 50% would likely limit the model to the trailer set. Even at that, it becomes a trade off to haul the 1-26 versus another one or two models. 33-40% would be ideal and would get me back gluing sticks. I miss my quarter scale 1-26 that I sold off. It just looked so good in flight.

• Gliderhead
                  Gliderhead commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Agree the quarter scale is a great flyer. It's my 'go to' when I just want to relax.

So here is where we are...

Tom wants a 50% to go with his Hemple 50% Ka-6, Gunny wants a 1/3-scale to go with his 1/3-scale 2-33, others want something that fits either their house, their car, or their trailer, and then there are the "I don't want anything smaller than 6 meters" class...

...and PG is thinking, "what to do, what to do!"
                A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Al Clark
                  Al Clark commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Gee, at this rate we are gonna have a whole fleet of different sized 1-26's at next year's events!

I vote for the 33%.
                [B]"I have not yet begun to procrastinate!"[/B] -- [B][I]Geoff Painter[/I][/B]

Comment

Yes....50% is more for the trailer crowd...the big trailer crowd, but it will fit nicely in Sprinter vans I only use trailers for little 40% Cubs lol

I doubt Pete G...no not me...the other Pete G, is looking at mass marketing, if so a 33% model would probably be marketed! I bet there will be 10-15 or less of these produced at any one time...so the target crowd will be the few of us who enjoy and can haul 40%-50% models.

I used to go to events with a half dozen smaller models, but I now enjoy how much better the bigger planes.....like may 50% Ka6 fly. I would rather bring one big bird, than a half dozen smaller ships....but two 50% ships will fit in my Sprinter just fine....with room left for me to sleep LOL

Pete G

Comment

• ARUP
                    ARUP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yeah, putting one or two large models together is less onerous than a whole fleet of smaller ones! Oh... the advantages and disadvantages of scale (pun intended... hardee-har-har!)

Speaking of large sailplanes.......I believe Cliff and Marc are still looking for someone to beta build the 40% 5.6 meter Moswey lll.......all wood construction.....
                  TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

Originally posted by ARUP View Post
                    1-26... neat sailplane with lots of options as far as models and color schemes go! 40%, though not overly huge in span, will be super 'bulky'. Personally I'm running out of room so will have to stick with sailplanes that 'break down' into smaller packages for storing. Honest... just ask Jeremy and Jim... they've been to my house!
                    Yes, I have been to your house and noted that you are wasting a lot of ceiling space...clearly you could add several large models by simple suspending them from the ceilings in various rooms...just saying. 😉
                    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• ARUP
                      ARUP commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Jim, that's where the air is! Plus... it's bad enough tip-toe-ing over things but I am not co-ordinated enough to do that AND duck!

• Xroadie
                      Xroadie commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mike...you need nesting planes....like those Russian nesting dolls!! A 1/5 scale model inside a 1/4 scale.... in a 1/3 scale... in a 1/2 scale.....note that I skipped over 1/2.5....that's 40 % lol

If anyone is listening to votes, mine would be 33% to 40%

Steve K
                    Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Working...
                    X