1:6 Sopwith 'Pup'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1:6 Sopwith 'Pup'

Dave 'Boddo' Boddington 1:6 scale plan build of a Sopwith 'Pup'. The FG cowl was made (plug-mold-part) by me. Full body pilot. Functional rigging with Proctor turnbuckles all safety wired. Three piece upper wing. Koverall and dope with painted graphics... no crappy vinyl. Raymond Collishaw flew a 'Black Maria' 'Pup' before flying the Sopwith Triplanes of the same name (he had a one gun Tripehound and a two gun Tripehound at his disposal much to the consternation of the German pilots)! He was one bad azz!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4858.JPG
Views:	558
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	41116 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4853.JPG
Views:	535
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	41117

Name:	IMG_4852.JPG
Views:	544
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	41118 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4851.JPG
Views:	515
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	41119

Name:	IMG_4848.JPG
Views:	546
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	41120

Hope ya like it! I do! lol

Power? Span? Weight? Prop? Details we all; er, I mean; I would like! Has she been had her 1st flight yet? Did you laser cut all those ribs or did you hand cut them? Oh yeah, very nice! Thanks for sharing.

Thanks, Mark

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi MarkY- thanks for comments! OS40FP from LenB, 54" span, ~4lbs, wooden 10 x 6 prop, no flights...fields closed, what is a laser??? lol I enjoy the whole process: research, drawing or modifying plans, lofting, cutting parts, building, painting, running engines and flying. Well... almost the whole process... because I don't like installing electronics for some reason!

• MarkY
      MarkY commented
      Editing a comment
      ARUP I am with you on liking to build, make the plane yours by making those mods that make sense. Like you, the tedious jobs for me are the electronics and covering. Several years ago I built a Pup, don't remember the designer, and after that I vowed if I ever built another WW1 plane I was going to build from a kit. Too many ribs and 2 times as many false ribs. Although I've been building for 48 years I've never done a fabric and dope cover. I have always admired the end product of others who have put the effort into a "proper cover job for a WW1 aeroplane." Again thanks for sharing. Boy do I love airplanes, they are all beautiful!

This transcends being a model airplane, it is a work of art...and Michael, you are a true artist!
    A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Jim! I make sure to cherry pick photos. lol

point it into the wind and tell us how it fly's..... also i got a small k40 laser in a trade and working to figure out how to draw and cut ribs if i can be of help in your future projects let me know...see you soon i hope. maybe pop out to jet jam in june at rosewood rc site just to get some fresh air and say hi.

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Joe- thanks for the offers but what is a laser? Just kidding! I like lofting ribs and generating plans using the computer between my ears. I don't have time to learn about new computers. lol

Really nice Michael. Magnificent job!
    Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Steve- thanks, man! I'm trying to clear out some of these projects started 'once upon a time, long, long ago'...!

OK some airplanes are tough to find pretty. I understand that this plane flew good.

(See #2.2)
    Attached Files
    Last edited by MarkY; 05-15-2020, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Is that an iteration of the ARUP series?

• MarkY
      MarkY commented
      Editing a comment
      "Is that an iteration of the ARUP series?" Don't know what that means;-)

An old friend gave me this photo, (I would guess from the early 60's- 1960's that is!) he is the fellow on the left. He and his father owned Mount Pleasant/Scottdale Airport in PA. My flight instructor said if you learn to fly at Mt. Pleasant/SD airport you never have to worry about landing off airport. The only flat spot on the airport is the pilots lounge floor, and that was stretching it. A wonderful and magic place! A place where Cubs, Champs, Chiefs, Taylorcrafts, C 120 and 140 still find a resting spot. A place where DC-3's used to visit and a movie star would visit. Jim would say when the movie star landed in his plane the value of the airport more than doubled, haha .

Jim (my old friend) said four fellows from an aeronautic school landed in this homebuilt that was designed and built at the school. He said it flew quite well. Which proves, in my humble opinion, it doesn't have to look good to fly good. Unfortunately this is the only photo he still had of the plane. Just looking at this photo it appears to me to be short coupled and the vertical stab and rudder is huge. From the shadow of the wing it looks like a tapered wing. Would have been nice to see additional photos from different angles.

Unfortunately my friend passed away many years ago so I can't pick his brain to see if he remembered any additional info on this plane.

In conclusion, ARUP's Pup - beautiful, this plane not so much. (Even though I still think all planes are beautiful.)

Mark

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Mark- great story! Thanks for posting! Yes... looking at the shadow, which appears to be either 10 AM-ish or 2PM-ish, shows it to be pretty short coupled. A large stab and rudder would be needed.

ARUP,
    I was glad to meet you at the Winamac sailplane event on Thursday. I read where they were forecasting bad weather for Friday so I got up at 3:00AM on Friday and headed back to Houston. It rained from Lebanon Indiana to Effingham Illinois but was almost clear weather from there on. It was a nineteen and half hour drive for me

I decided to take my Baudis Diana II home and reconfigure the radio installation and do a better job determining the CG. I didn't want to wreck a new sailplane ! I hope to see you at future sailplane events !

Steve Gibson
    Houston, TX

Comment

• ARUP
      ARUP commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi Steve, yes... it was nice to put a face to the avatar! The weather wasn’t the greatest and I left Sat AM. Friday it cleared up at end of the day and flying ensued but I just didn’t wanna get my sailplanes out and lay on the wet ground for the assembly. I don’t like getting my nice old bicycles wet either so will not ride in the rain or on wet roads!

You will love that Diana!
Working...
X