Paracord for tow loops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paracord for tow loops?

I was asked at tthe recent Cumberland event where I sourced the tough thin yellow tow loops I was using? While braided Mason’s twine from any hardware store works perfectly well, this product was microcord 1.18 mm parachute cord from Paracord Planet where I buy my tow lines.

So, FWIW, here tiz...

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	41642

Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Good source. I pick up other size paracord to use for F3b winch line sleeves.

Comment

any idea of breaking strength? i suspect it would be 100+lbs?

Comment

• Steve P
        Steve P commented
        Editing a comment
        It is one step below Paracord 95 which has a 95 lb tensile strength. Interestingly, they don't post a figure for the Micro Cord but my understanding is that it's in the 85-90lb range.

Originally posted by MarkRobbins View Post
      any idea of breaking strength? i suspect it would be 100+lbs?
      At least......which kinda throws the whole “weak link” theory out the window......I’ll stick with braided winch line for loops.....
      TEAM GORGEOUS

Comment

• Steve P
        Steve P commented
        Editing a comment
        Braided Mason Twine
        18-gauge line with an approximate tensile strength of 155 pounds.

Originally posted by Tom View Post

At least......which kinda throws the whole “weak link” theory out the window......I’ll stick with braided winch line for loops.....
      yep, i've been using 50lb and 80lb test Dacron fishing line. It doesn't break...unless it does. But I am a proponent of: you protect what is yours. I put what I feel will protect my towplane on it and what is good for my glider on my glider... I feel it is a different answer from a 500CC tug to a 120CC tug and a Skylark vs a Ventus.

In fullscale we use a formula instead of feelings. but bones hurt more than feelings.

Comment

• Steve P
        Steve P commented
        Editing a comment
        "I put what I feel will protect my towplane on it and what is good for my glider on my glider... "

Question --- Do you also use a separate loop on the tow plane side? We easties have not been doing that? Just a loop in the end of actual 550 or 270 tow line. You ain't breaking that!

FWIW, I've always thought the "weak link" theory was in of itself weak. Seen lots of broken sailplanes on tow or bouncing along the ground when they caught a tip, but never a one saved by a loop?

Thanks

Hey Mark, will you have some of that Dacron this weekend? I would like to make a loop for my Bidule.

Comment

• MarkRobbins
        MarkRobbins commented
        Editing a comment
        $1 per loop....or whiskey. Whiskey is good.

Why did I bring that up? I owe you Whiskey. I'll bring this whiskey this weekend and the loops are on me!

I like 80lb Dacron with the glider end of the loop dipped in Elmers to stiffen it up, making it real easy to line up and load into the tow release. Dip it, massage it into the fibers and let hang to dry.

Comment

• MarkRobbins
        MarkRobbins commented
        Editing a comment
        i wonder if that strengthens or weakens the original property of the material. Im going to try this...

• edfmaniac
        edfmaniac commented
        Editing a comment
        It never really hardens so I don't think it effects the strength of the fibers. Cheers!

I have a few years of full scale tows and can say we only used the weak link at the glider end. To this day I don't really know which system is best but when we did long cross country tows to other contests etc., we never usd a weak link.

Comment

If you use the micro cord, I recommend a double uni knot. Just search the web if you don't know what it is.

Comment

The uni is certainly the best and how we repair high stress broken winch lines and such. What I've found at scale events is people making loops out of typical masons twine wherein the ends have become frayed right down to the knot. Then, the knot comes undone.

I've been using a simple double over knot for years, pulled super tight with zero failures and flying large heavy sailplanes. However, I melt the ends of the lines so there is no fraying.

Like most things YMMV.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_17060.jpg Views:	6 Size:	157.5 KB ID:	43081
          Last edited by Steve P; 12-10-2020, 01:34 PM.
          Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Tried to add a uni schematic to the above, but it wouldn't take. So, here it is....

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	43083

Comment

Interesting observation of micro cord vs braided twine for tow loops. If you have a tow release that has some sharp edges, the micro cord does a better job of dealing with your nasty tow release. Pulling hard, the twine will abrade and cut well before the micro cord.

If you are using the Topmodel tow releases you really should clean up the edges before installing them. That release normally has rough edges.

Comment

Working...
              X