Graupner Discus 4M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Graupner Discus 4M

I’m getting back into the hobby after about a 20 year layoff raising kids. I have an old Graupner Discus 4M that’s been sitting in the box for ages and have been thinking about finally starting the build. It has balsa covered foam filled wings and am unclear on the best way to finish them. Are these typically glassed and painted or film covered. The kit number is Best-No. 4240. Any advice on the finishing or kit in general would be most appreciated.
    steve

Film cover, use Oracover/Ultrakote. Glassing and painting balsa wings properly is time consuming and adds too much weight. The minor benefits aren’t worth the effort.

Comment

Welcome back to the hobby! +1 with DennisB... use film for that model. Keep it as light weight as possible. Even though it has 4 meter span the wing loading will be pretty high with those skinny wings! The Discus sure is a beautiful sailplane, though!

Comment

My first Aerotowing model was a Graupner 4.425m Discus, it also had Obeche foam covered wings and I used Ultracote for covering, I wish I still had it as it was a great flying plane!

Jeremy
        SCCAAA TT TN

Comment

Working...
        X