No announcement yet.

Belly up to the bar. Let’s table that.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Belly up to the bar. Let’s table that.

They say that idle hands are the devil’s workshop.

Between winter sailplane projects I needed something completely different to do. I’ve always needed a little bit more space for transmitter cases, tool boxes and chargers at events. Plus a stable surface to work on things. I stopped by a local metal fabrication shop and asked for an estimate on a basic 8 foot long 18 inch wide stainless steel surface with hinge for the side of my trailer. The thousand dollar plus tax estimate got my attention. The second estimate was no better. It was time to improvise. Mr. Google and I set about searching out parts.

So here we have it. I quickly discovered that shipping extremely heavy 8 foot long metal items get spendy. But if you knock that length down to 6 feet, it’s like 20 bucks. The delivery guy wants me dead. While less length then I would’ve preferred, that extra 2 feet would have cost a combined $250 in cost and freight which was a huge amount compared to the rest of the project. So 6 foot it was – – or is?

Here we have the resulting project. I purchased a 304 stainless steel 6‘ x 18“ table from a commercial restaurant supply house. I also sourced a 6 foot long by 4 inch wide 0.090 stainless steel piano hinge (free shipping!) from New Hampshire Hinge. Lots of stainless bolts, nuts, washers and screws from Lowe’s — the 25 quarter inch holes I had to drill into the combined hinge and table were quite a process. Slow and steady wins that race so as to not work harden the steel.

The leg mounts for the table were cut off with a sawsall and heavy rubber bumpers (EBay) were added to cushion the table against the trailer when folded down. Aluminum electrical conduit legs were fabricated and attach with camelback hinges that have added Hysol EP90FL at their base and fix in place with lock pins. Yamaha snowmobile shroud straps secure the table when folded.

Now I need another project!

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	75.1 KB ID:	43516

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	131.0 KB ID:	43517

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	145.4 KB ID:	43518

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	113.9 KB ID:	43519

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	116.9 KB ID:	43520

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	131.8 KB ID:	43521

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	118.4 KB ID:	43522
    Last edited by Steve P; 01-23-2021, 05:59 PM.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Awesome nice bar for late nite martinis after flying all day...Looks great Steve! Careful with charging jacks falling and the positive and negs touching her all at the same time !! haha

Comment

• Steve P
      Steve P commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. Yeah, you’re not allowed near without passing through the battery detector.

yep i would carry a roll out drawer liner to put on top.. just in case and it also serves to catch a loose nit or screw if using it to work on a plane. remember we never park perfectly level the liner will help in many ways.

Comment

Then there is this:

Tow-Rax Wall Mounted Folding Table - Aluminum - 45-1/2" Long x 18-1/2" Wide Tow-Rax Trailer Cargo Organizers TWSP45HFTA (etrailer.com)
      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

• Steve P
        Steve P commented
        Editing a comment
        Looked and rejected this and a number of off the shelf items. The profile is wider projecting from the side of the trailer when folded with the backsplash sticking out and the mounts are welded,on, not centered on the trailer studs. It’s an interior product and mounted to ply inside it would work well, but mounted outside on the skin it must center the studs dead on. Also too short. I also looked at a range of food truck serving shelves and they are too thin steel or aluminum, the mounts much weaker and the stud centering wrong.
        Last edited by Steve P; 01-23-2021, 09:59 PM.

• JimD
        JimD commented
        Editing a comment
        All good points, the lack of 24" OC spacing is a problem and the rear "backsplash" sticking out is problematic. Also noted in one of the comments, mounting brackets are not aluminum, made of good old rusting steel.

Looks like you did your homework well and created a fine looking final product...would not have expected anything less!!!!

I don't see anything on tap yet. Or a blender.
      Kevin K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• Steve P
        Steve P commented
        Editing a comment
        You and Matt have the right idea! :-)

• mlachow
        mlachow commented
        Editing a comment
        Keg storage?

Very nice Steve. I am looking forward to seeing it up close
      Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

Nice work Steve, now we can load up your workbench!!! Yehaaawww
        KEEP "MATT THE WELDER"AWAY
        Len Buffinton
        Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

Left the garage door open!

Click image for larger version

Name:	
Views:	0
Size:	197.3 KB
ID:	43599

Thanks to Mike L for the squatter
          Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Bernie is getting a ton of notariety out of a pair of mittens! Love it😀
            Last edited by Soarntz; 01-28-2021, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Soon you will be bale to strap Bernie to the top of your trailer like they did Aunt Edna in National Lampoon's Vacation....

Comment

Working...
              X