Eighteen channels for Futaba -- and others. The PowerBox PowerExpander SRS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eighteen channels for Futaba -- and others. The PowerBox PowerExpander SRS

Something for big tow planes and even bigger sailplanes....

Futaba pilots on FASST have been waiting for a receiver at more than 8 channels for complex setups set-ups. Some JR flyers like myself have employed the now defunct Duo to take us above 11 channels on DMSS with greater power capacity. One possible solution to consider is the PowerExpander SRS making it possible to use all channels provided by your radio system when using small but highly-specified receivers -- for example a 3-channel Rx! And, there are multiple ways to drive redundant power as well as redundant receivers if one truly wishes. SRS refers to Serial Receiver System in PowerBox products.

The PowerExpanderSRS offers...
    • Access to a maximum of eighteen channels
    • Simple wiring: receivers are connected using a serial link
    • Allows the use of two receivers if desired
    • Compatible with: Futaba, Spektrum, Graupner, Jeti, Multiplex and JR
    • High-current power socket either MPX or Deans
    • S-BUS output for use in a BUS system
    • Hold/Failsafe option for each output individual
    • User-variable frame rate
    • Can be updated using the PowerBox USB Interface
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	108.4 KB ID:	31284
    • Operating voltage: 4.0V - 9.0V
    • Power supply: 2S LiPo, 2S LiIon, 2S LiFePo, 5S NiCd/NiMH
    • Current drain Power-on state: 25mA
    • Maximum load current: Peak 30A!
    • Signal input: serial
    • Supported RC systems: Futaba, Spektrum, Jeti, Graupner, JR, Multiplex
    • Receiver redundancy: SRS
    • Channels: 18

Here's a look at a potential set-up...
    Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	32.5 KB ID:	31285

Just some food for thought. There are many ways to approach this and the PowerExpander is one. Happy to answer any questions or find the information for you if I don't have it.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

PowerBox products are excellent pieces of electronics. Long standing quality and German engineering.
    Len Buffinton
    Team Horizon Hobby

Comment

From a Futaba standpoint, This is what I am upgrading to

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=FUTL7648

What arethe advantages of this Rx?

Steve K
      Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• Steve P
        Steve P commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi Steve. Great step forward as Futaba users had been waiting for something more in the Rx department. The PowerExpander is a power buss not a receiver, potentially offering up to three ways to insert power (two typical leads and one Multiplex or Deans) and push out a whopping 30 amps to those hungry servos we use these days. The PowerExpander can also work with a simple receiver (inexpensive), perhaps as low as 3-channels if it has the SBus out making the entire setup max to 18 channels and have 30A capacity that can't be matched with a standard receiver. A different way to skin a bigger cat.

Steve Kremer,

Are you thinking of the Powerbox Power Expander as a receiver? It isn't a receiver. What it is, is a high current bus for servo power delivery. It has the added feature of being able to program individual fail-safe vs hold conditions for each servo connected if there is a signal interruption. It is super easy to connect your radio system's receiver with the serial port connection. This means you will have 1 single patch chord from each receiver Sbus output to the Rx input on the Power Expander. The Power Expander bus is capable of much higher current delivery than straight through the receiver minimizing the risk of servo current draw browning out your receiver due to a voltage drop. It gets the servo current off the receiver circuit board and instead supplied via the Power Expander circuitry which is designed for the high current draws that digital servos, especially coreless motored servos, are capable of drawing.

Comment

I can get the lowest channel sbus Futaba Rx and use Sbus and can get as many channels as the Tx will support. But then I need Futaba Sbus Servos? Right?
        Steve K

Kremer Aerotowing Team

Comment

• Steve P
          Steve P commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Steve -- you can use any quality servo. PowerBox constantly strives to make all their product compatible.

I use the Powerbox Expander in all of my GPS racers with two Futaba 7008 receivers. Have used a variety of servo brands MKS, JR., Hitec, Futaba. Great unit along with everything Powerbox makes. Their servo wire is very nice and they have several premade harnesses.
        Regards Dean

Comment

Working...
        X