Hitec/Multiplex Sailplane Size Servos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hitec/Multiplex Sailplane Size Servos

For many years, the Hitec HS-85MG servo was my servo of choice for most sailplane applications (back when I thought 3 meters was a giant wingspan).

More recently, when I had the need for this size servo, I wanted a digital servo that would be happy to operate on 6.0 volts NiMH and started using the HS-5085MG servos. More recently still, Hitec replaced the HS-5085MG with the new D85MG with advanced features:

Engineered with our state-of-the-art D-Series technology, this “micro but mighty” servo is an upgrade from the popular HS-5085MG. With soft-start enabled circuitry, 4096 high-resolution and a long-life potentiometer, the D85MG allows for smooth and decisive movement and accuracy. Programmable application-specific parameters provide the ultimate in maximum servo performance.

The issue I have found with the D85MG is the use of 28 gauge for the servo lead That concerns me when using one of these in a sailplane that is at the top of the servo's recommended weight class, and at the end of a long extension.

The D85MG has a 3-pole metal brush ferrite motor which is the same as the older HS-85MG analog servo, but the D85MG has 60 oz-in of torque @ 6.0v while the HS-85MG has 49 oz-in of torque @ 6.0v.

***Newest Offering*** the D-series Hitec
    D89MW servo

With 32-bit high resolution, ultra-response technology and wide voltage operation, the mighty micro-sized D89MW delivers solid power in a lightweight package. Its efficient coreless motor makes this mini servo a standout in its class.
    Servo Length Width Height Weight Torque@6.0v
    HS-85MG 1.14" 0.51" 1.18" 0.80 oz 47 oz-in
    HS-5085MG
    1.14"
    0.51"
    1.18"
    N/A N/A
    D85MG
    1.14"
    0.51"
    1.18"
    0.84 oz 60 oz-in
    D89MW
    1.14"
    0.51"
    1.18"
    0.84 oz 94 oz-in

The D89MW is the same exact size and weight as the D85MG, but has a coreless motor which produces over half again more torque (94 oz-in @ 6.0v) and has a 24 gauge wire lead instead of the 28 gauge wire lead on the D85MG .

Note also that the D89MW has a 25 tooth output shaft like that of most Futaba servos while the HS-85MG and D85MG have the traditional 24 tooth Hitec output shaft.

These specs look really good and seem a significant advance from the popular HS-85MG

Last edited by JimD; 01-18-2020, 02:52 PM.
    A Site for Soar Eyes

It says it's "Wide" voltage. I guess that means you can run the D89MW on a 2s LiPo?

Comment

Hitec says voltage range is 4.8v-7.4v
      A Site for Soar Eyes

Comment

i go with mks hv69
        55.00 retail and sometimes on sale at 45.00 thats when i stock up.. love these little fellers...........

would your hitec 28 ga. servo lead still suffice if you feed it with larger extensions right up to the servo plug...........

Comment

• JimD
          JimD commented
          Editing a comment
          The D89MW has 24 gauge wire and with 94 oz-in of torque, I think it out performs many of the thin-wing servos.

The 28 gauge wire on the D85MG might be okay, but personally, it doesn't look right to me...and the torque is less at 60 oz-in.

• JimD
          JimD commented
          Editing a comment
          There are many good servo brands out there, just pointing out something new and interesting from the Hitec brand.

• JimD
          JimD commented
          Editing a comment
          The MKS HV69 servo is a very nice unit, especially if you are using 2-cell LiPo receiver packs with 7.4 volts and above. So far, all of my airborne systems operate on A123 (or LiFe) packs at 6.6 volts.
      Working...
      X