Valenta Salto 1:4 - socially distanced version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Valenta Salto 1:4 - socially distanced version

I envisioned myself placing this in the trailer today in the process of getting ready for Cumberland. I was going to fly it straight out of the crate.

Instead, I took some time to neaten up and dress out this 4.5 meter Salto that came my way thanks to Wil Byers. The airfoil is a HQW 2.5/12 and while modeled at 1:4 scale, it really isn't as the wings are stretched a bit. Regardless, I thought (and think) it will be a blast on the big slope.

Yesterday and today I spent a couple hours in the shop and many more in the garden. At least spring is upon us here in CT.

I really like this sailplane, the huge carbon joiner, and how nicely the parts all fit.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	84.8 KB ID:	40423

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	99.7 KB ID:	40424

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	107.5 KB ID:	40425
    Last edited by Steve P; 03-22-2020, 03:37 PM.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

The plain gray cockpit pan was perfectly fine, but I decided to root through the parts bin and found various instruments -- power, jet and sailplane -- to add (oil pressure anyone?). A stick, tow release handle and microphone add to the illusion. A few Glasflugel graphics. Eventually I will stitch a seat cover and make a headrest.

The 1:4 Axel pilots I have in storage are way too big to fit. I need to find one of the Hangar 9 1:4 pilots that came with their J3 Cub. Anyone?

I added 1/4-20 metal inserts into the wing roots that mate with nylon bolts from inside the fuselage to retain the wings. Tape will still be used to make doubly certain all stays together.

All eight servo covers were re-done and the entire plane got a coat of wax.

Moving inside, a bit of wire bundling and re-routing (resisted my usual anal-retentive braided wire wrap) and added a single wheel fender by extending a sheet of thick PETG off the back of the tray. A 9 ch receiver and a 3600 2S LiPo finish out the update.

Hopefully we'll all be out flying soon. I'm still looking forward to some nice wind at Cumberland to push this thing around.

Stay safe and well everyone.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_16089.jpg Views:	3 Size:	146.2 KB ID:	40427

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_16090.jpg Views:	3 Size:	70.4 KB ID:	40428

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_16092.jpg Views:	3 Size:	161.1 KB ID:	40429
    Last edited by Steve P; 04-04-2020, 02:07 PM.
    Team PowerBox Systems Americas... If flying were the language of men, soaring would be its poetry.

Comment

Check with Adam at Warbird Pilots.
      Gunny
      Aviation Concepts rc

Comment

• Steve P
        Steve P commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks so much, Gunny. I had forgotten about Adam! I sent him an email last night and we landed on the 1:5 scale version. The shoulder width of the 1:4 is 3/8" too wide, so he'd be crammed in there and way too long. We shall see...

• gunny11
        gunny11 commented
        Editing a comment
        The Hanger 9 pilot for their 1/4 sale cub that they used to sell was fifth scale'ish and that's what Adam has. It will look ok because I had used these in NoBS Batteries (Steves) 1/4 scale 2-33, the blue and yellow one.

A bit of learning to share. Adam at warbirdpilots hooked me up with a 1:5 and a 1:4.5-1:4 civilian pilot. The latter is a perfect fit, the former a bit too small.

Now the Salto is really ready to go — whenever that is.

Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	106.5 KB ID:	40572
      Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	0 Size:	111.8 KB ID:	40571
      Last edited by Steve P; 04-04-2020, 01:52 PM.

Comment

• Steve P
        Steve P commented
        Editing a comment
        If anyone would like the 1:5 pilot, it is still in the package unopened -- with hat, headset/microphone and sunglasses. I am about to send him back to Adam for a refund, but can easily send to anyone here. $85 shipped CONUS so you'll save $11.25

A little late to the party

Click image for larger version

Name:	pilot.jpg
Views:	523
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	40591
      Jeremy

SCC AAA TT TN

Comment

Hi,
        Your Salto sure is nice. I like the EFD conversion too. Which construction is this one? Fiberglass, D-box carbon or carbon?

Comment

• Steve P
          Steve P commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. Carbon D-box.
      Working...
      X